finger you?

david   Tue May 12, 2009 1:16 am GMT
what does it mean to say "i want to finger you"?
.   Tue May 12, 2009 4:48 am GMT
To report you to the Police.

To give you the finger - an American insult
. is a liar   Tue May 12, 2009 4:51 am GMT
It means he/she wants to insert his/her fingers into your bodily cavities or squeeze your protuberances.
Edward Teach   Tue May 12, 2009 11:05 am GMT
ha ha! someone trying to finger you, david?
Gordon Banks   Tue May 12, 2009 2:16 pm GMT
I've never been fingered by the police. Where I'm from the Old Bill "feel Chummy's collar". Poor old Chummy he gets blamed for everything. I live in Sunhill.
Skippy   Tue May 12, 2009 3:00 pm GMT
There are two different explanations. Both have been covered here...

To finger someone, in one sense, means to point them out. "How do you know it was me?" "The bank teller fingered you as the thief."

In the other sense, it is a sexual act using one's finger.
Damian London E14   Tue May 12, 2009 4:02 pm GMT
In Scotland it's used in police jargon as a verb to refer to the action of someone's dabs being taken for identification purposes.....prints in other words.

Back home in Edinburgh the word "police" is pronounced pretty much the same way as everywhere else in the UK - something like a single syllable "pleess" but in other parts of Scotland - mostly around Glasgow - it comes out more like "POE-leess".
rapp   Thu May 14, 2009 5:20 pm GMT
I would like to point out that in US slang, the "point out someone to the police" meaning of the phrase is antiquated. That usage was from, oh, the 1940's maybe? Today, it would overwhelmingly be understood in the sexual act sense.