2 mch text mess?

Terry   Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:11 pm GMT
I haven't seen this discussed here. A cell phone company in Great Britain has enlisted a former English professor to create text message synopses of great works of literature, supposedly as a study aid for students. The works include, "Paradise Lost," Pride and Prejudice" and the Canterbury Tales" as well as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

A columnist for the Miami Herald, Leonard Pitts Jr., objects to this trend. He recently wrote:

"There is wisdom and insight in books that cannot be readily reduced to a few characters on a cell phone screen. There is music and cadence in them that you simply cannot transmit with symbols and emoticons...

"No, for my money this is simply another example of a growing stupidization - put away your dictionary, I made it up - that infects our culture like a virus, rendering it faster than ever before, but also dumber and more shallow. And apparently not just our culture. I mean, I had always thought of stupidization as an American affliction, so I don't know whether to be relieved or appalled to see it also showing up in Britain, where erudition was raised and eloquence keeps a summer home.

"2b?Nt2b???Give me a break.

Better yet, give me a book."

I agree with Pitts. Any thoughts anyone? (Notice how he shows such reverence for the British and their proper English.)
Tiffany   Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:28 pm GMT
As a fellow Floridian, I must say I love Leonard Pitts Jr. I've missed his columns every since moving away :(.

I don't always agree with him, but his gets his point across beautifully.

In this case, I do agree to the extent that I think translating great works into text messages lingo is stupid and will accomplish little more than "stupidization" and great loss of what made the book a great work in the first place.

I disagree that stupidization is an American affliction. Many people everywhere, everyday try to "stupidize" things.
Terry   Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:53 pm GMT
<<As a fellow Floridian, I must say I love Leonard Pitts Jr. I've missed his columns every since moving away :(. >>

Tiffany, I thought you were still in Miami. Where'd you move to? And yes I love his columns too, agree or not.

<<I disagree that stupidization is an American affliction. Many people everywhere, everyday try to "stupidize" things. >>

People usually refer to it as, "the dumbing down of America," but stupidization has ring to it, don't you think. I'm with you on stupidization - it's universal!
Tiffany   Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:31 pm GMT
I'm living in the San Francisco Bay Area right now. I still come over to Miami - was there in September. Too much bad weather though! I swear, it plagued us. Hurricane season was long and tiring.
Terry   Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:43 pm GMT
<<Hurricane season was long and tiring.>>

No kidding. I'm disgusted with it. We got hit by two back-to-back last year. Over half the town had those blue plastic rooves.

Hope you're enjoying San Francisco.