Does Russian sounds like Portuguese?

John   Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:22 pm GMT
you cannot compare Polish with Russian. They are completely different languages and the endings are not the same one.
Russian doesn't have the verb być, mać etc...like other slavic languages.
Bosnian and Serbian have slightly different grammar than Croatian and the proununciation/pitch accents are different.

you classification is ok,but it's better to keep them in their own classifications (western, southern and eastern slavonic languages)
Aszykbajew   Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:20 pm GMT
What happened to the verb "быть(być)" in Russian?

However, it is said that Polish and Russian have nearly identical grammar, but Polish tends to drop pronouns and have them conjugated with the verbs.

Russian doesn't drop pronouns, though it is conjugated with the verb.

Portuguese does.
Korana   Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:46 pm GMT
Bosnian and Serbian have slightly different grammar than Croatian and the proununciation/pitch accents are different.

//

The most striking difference is in vocabulary, also... Serbian uses many expressions Croatian speakers don't understand (mrzi me da igram [lit. It hates me that I play] = I hate dancing, Croatians would say: mrzim plesati [I hate to dance] )
Aszykbajew   Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:17 am GMT
Looks like the difference between Serbian and Croatian is like between Standard American English and East Midlands English dialects.

If British Standard of English based itself on a mixture of London, Yorkshire, RP and East Midlands English with the thou-ye distinction, probably it will be declared as a separate language from American English.

In fact, English from Eastern England sounds as choppy as some German dialects whilst English from Southwestern England and some regions in Ireland can sound like American/Canadian English dialects or even Dutch.

The gauge is when they read Dutch. Americans and Canadians come off sounding quite close to the Dutch, but with some accent. Brits from many regions but Southwest England come off sounding like German.

The situation between Brazil and Portugal seems like the gap is wider. Many Brazilian variants and Northern Portuguese variants sound like a Romance language whilst the rest of the Portuguese dialects in Portugal sound like a Slavic language. Standard grammar is nearly identical, but the street Brazilian variant, in the forum in which I mentioned Ze do rock, has a different grammar, like Ebonics of the USA.
J.C.   Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:25 pm GMT
Speaking of Zé do Rock, I've attached his link about the "brasileiz":

http://www.zedorock.net/o-eroi-sem-nem-um-aga.html

He also wrote a very funny book about the German orthographic reform called "fom winde ferfeelt".

Cheers!!
hhhhhhh   Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:34 pm GMT
there's no conjugation of that verb in russian. only in future tense.
guest   Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:59 pm GMT
>>you cannot compare Polish with Russian. They are completely different languages and the endings are not the same one.
Russian doesn't have the verb być, mać etc...like other slavic languages.

you can compare these languages, as they are extremely close to each other, they are Slavic and mutual intelligibility is quite high. Russian has verbs "to be", to have" like any other language, we just use them not like others.
Jacyra   Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:12 pm GMT
but the street Brazilian variant, in the forum in which I mentioned Ze do rock, has a different grammar, like Ebonics of the USA.

//Unlike Ebonics, ''street Brazilian variant'' is used in Brazilian movies, and soap operas (which are comparable to American ones like Beverly Hills and Merlose place)...Brazilian spoken Portuguese is different from the Lisbon-based written portuguese, just like Swiss spoken german is different han Swiss written german (which is based HighGerman from Germany). Ebonics does not have prestige in the US, spoken Swiss and Brazilian do have prestige in their respective locations, even Brazilian modern writers write using the spoken language (this trend was started by Mário de Andrade, in 1920ies)...
Joao   Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:42 pm GMT
"have you seen Czech grammar, morphology??"

I cannot speak any Slavic language. The words are completely different from Portuguese.
But because I visited Poland, Czech Republic and Bulgaria, each of the countries twice (plus other ones only once), I have the idea that the spelling of Czech is easier than the spelling of Polish.
Among the Slavic languages, Czech tends to be a sintectic language. From a Czech friend that I had who as learning Portuguese, I have the idea that Czechs don't like redundancies, so tend to keep the words and phrases shorter. At least that Czech friend complained with some reason that Portuguese has so long phrases: "máquina de lavar a roupa" - (washing machine) has 5 words.
Czech has 7 case endings. I had a list of the cases. It's easy to aply the rules if one really undestands the rules. Then the propositions become unnecessary. What it's difficult is to start using them automatically if one does not speak a native language with propositions like me.

Correct me if I said something wrong, please.

Bulgarian seems easy to decode the cyrilic and to recognise the words when we hear.
Polish has a difficult spelling.
Joao   Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:44 pm GMT
error - "What it's difficult is to start using them automatically if one does not speak a native language with propositions like me."

I should say "a native language with case endings like me". Portuguese has no case endings.
Joao   Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:50 pm GMT
The gauge is when they read Dutch. Americans and Canadians come off sounding quite close to the Dutch, but with some accent. Brits from many regions but Southwest England come off sounding like German.

I wonder if the American accent wasn't influenced by the Dutch.
However native English speakers have a lot of difficulty in pronouncing the gutural "r", which in Duth is in almost all the words. The letters for this sound are others than the "R": "g", "ch" or the "r" itself.

Also, the Dutch speak English with their specific Dutch accent.
Joao   Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:57 pm GMT
"but the street Brazilian variant, in the forum in which I mentioned Ze do rock, has a different grammar, like Ebonics of the USA.

//Unlike Ebonics, ''street Brazilian variant'' is used in Brazilian movies, and soap operas (which are comparable to American ones like Beverly Hills and Merlose place)...Brazilian spoken Portuguese is different from the Lisbon-based written portuguese, just like Swiss spoken german is different han Swiss written german (which is based HighGerman from Germany). Ebonics does not have prestige in the US, spoken Swiss and Brazilian do have prestige in their respective locations, even Brazilian modern writers write using the spoken language (this trend was started by Mário de Andrade, in 1920ies)... "

It only enriches the Portuguese language. I like the way Brazilians talk and write.
According to the last agreement, the European Portuguese can now be spelt like Brazilian Portuguese concerning those words which in PT have c while BR have not. We can write now fato (fact) instead of facto , aspeto (aspect) instead of aspecto.
I agree with that, but unfortunately some "language uber-alles fundamentalists" from Lisbon do not agree.
Aszykbajew   Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:51 am GMT
to Joao:

The Dutch from Amsterdam do pronounce the r like the Americans do at the ends of words.

They trill all r's in all but final positions. All the other Dutch dialects have the guttural r.

The original Dutch g is a voiced velar fricative, like in Spanish.

The Portuguese pronounce g like the Southern Russians do, yes? It's a voiced velar fricative as far as I know.

Standard Russian pronounces g like the Englishmen do. Czech g's have become h.

When you travelled to other countries speaking your accent, were you mistaken for a Slav?
Aszykbajew   Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:10 am GMT
Many Polish digraphs have their equivalent in Slavic languages written in Cyrillic.

http://steen.free.fr/cyrpol/index.html

Bulgarian has roughly identical characters and nearly identical sound values with Russian, except:

the Russian twiordy znak is read ad a Bulgarian jer;
Bulgarian has no jery and unpalatised e of Russian;
The je of Russian is read as e in Bulgarian.
Miranda   Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:29 am GMT
http://www.bibliotecadigital.uel.br/document/?view=vtls000086179
http://www.bibliotecadigital.uel.br/document/?code=vtls000086179

Resumo: O emprego da preposição em com verbos de movimento é colocado como sintaxe típica do português brasileiro, em detrimento do uso da preposição a com esses mesmos verbos, tida como sintaxe típica do português europeu. Apesar disso ainda se emprega a no português falado no Brasil. Entre os fatores extra-lingüísticos que deram suporte a permanência de a está o modo como foi implantada a norma culta no século XIX pela elite portuguesa. Um dos fatores condicionantes que influenciam o emprego de a é o núcleo do SN que acompanha essa preposição ter o gênero masculino, outro fator relevante é significação, quando a indica noção. Estudo de aquisição do português brasileiro tendo como informante uma criança de dois anos, mostra que na gramática internalizada dessa criança não aparece a preposição a. Já a preposição em consta entre as primeiras adquiridas pela criança juntamente com para e de. Esse fato de crianças brasileiras não possuírem a na sua gramática interna mostra que houve uma mudança, onde os falantes brasileiros optam por em ao invés de a. Este trabalho, baseado em um corpus composto por relato, cartas, peças de teatro, procura observar o caminho das preposições a/em desde o português do século XVI que deu origem ao português brasileiro até nossos dias, e quais os fatores condicionantes que influenciam no emprego de uma e de outra preposição.

Abstract: The use of the preposition em with movement verbs is typical for Brazilian Portuguese syntax as opposed to the use of the preposition a with the same verbs in European Portuguese. Among the extra-linguistic factors that maintain a is the way that it was introduced in the language in the XIX century by Portuguese elite. One of the linguistic factors that have influence in the use of a is the fact that the SN nucleus that follow this preposition has the neutral gender. Another factor is the preposition meaning of "notion". A study about Brazilian Portuguese language acquisition that had a two year old child as informant shows that in this child's internal grammar there is no preposition a, but the preposition em, which was the first to be acquired by the child, together with para and de. This fact shows that there has been a change in Brazilian Portuguese. This work was based on a corpus with letters, plays and accounts in order to observe the preposition a/em since XVIth century Portuguese until today and to discover what factor influenced the use of em rather than a.

//
It's interesting that Camões used EM with verbs of movimento (like ir and conduzir), so, this Brasilianism is in fact an archaic Lusitanism...
Therefore, it's really weird to receive weird looks by Portuguese people and Brazilian teachers of Portuguese when they hear a Brazilian saying: Eu cheguei EM casa or Eu vou lá EM casa...It's easier for them to say it's an incorrect Brazilian invention than to use their head and stop and think:
''Look, Latin and archaic Continental Portuguese used EM with verbs of movement (IN URBEM IRE, IR NA CIDADE), and the same can be done in French and Italian with many words (andare in discoteca comes to mind)''...