Gauge vs gage

Brennus   Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:33 am GMT
Hello. Yahoo New has a headline which reads: "Faulty fuel gauge delays shuttle launch." In this sense, gauge (gage) means an instrument for measuring or testing something. I have heard it pronounced only as "geij" (or "gaydzh") rhyming with "wage". Do any of you pronounce it differently? Which spelling are you most familiar with? I'm inclined to spell it as 'gage,' Thanks for your answers.
Kirk   Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:55 am GMT
<<Hello. Yahoo New has a headline which reads: "Faulty fuel gauge delays shuttle launch." In this sense, gauge (gage) means an instrument for measuring or testing something. I have heard it pronounced only as "geij" (or "gaydzh") rhyming with "wage". Do any of you pronounce it differently? Which spelling are you most familiar with? I'm inclined to spell it as 'gage,' Thanks for your answers.>>

I pronounce it [gedZ], so "gage." "Gage" is an alternate (and really, more sensible) spelling of "gauge" (with the same pronunciation), altho I see "gauge" much more commonly.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:07 am GMT
Gauge = ['geidZ]
Gauge is the only spelling I've been used to.

"Gage" can mean either a pledge to fulfil an obligation to repay a loan, or something you throw down (such as a glove) as an indication to accept a challenge of combat - sounds like something out of the Three Musketeers!

Put "gage" at the end of "green" and you have a fruit, a type of plum. Greengage jam or jelly is quite nice.
gjones2   Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:44 pm GMT
I'm in the United States, and I pronounce it to rhyme with "wage" but spell it "gauge" (I've used that spelling when writing technical documentation about gauges).

Google net results:
gage 10,100,000
gauge 11,500,000

Google UK results:
gauge 950,000
gage 1,300,000

These results are not very helpful, though. I notice that many of the "gage" sites are using the word as a name ("Gage"). Also in the UK 820,000 of the 1,300,000 sites listed for "gage" contain "Nokia N-Gage" (a mobile gaming phone).
Xatufan   Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:28 am GMT
Antimoon has passed from being one of the most beautiful and intelligent forums on the web, to a horrible place where everybody insults other people just because they think differently. I'm happy to see good people like Brennus or Damian in Edinburgh. I'm sorry I can't give useful information, but I've got to say what it's obvious.
from OHIO   Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:38 am GMT
"everybody insults other people just because they think differently"

Xatufan,

The above is 100% correct, but speaking of an "intelligent forum"---nah, majority of people hee are far from being intelligent.
Deborah   Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:51 am GMT
It's not a word I use often, but I pronounce it to rhyme with "wage" and I think I spell it "gauge", but I'm not sure. As I said, it's not a word I use often.
Brennus   Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:11 am GMT
Thanks everyone for your comments. 'Gauge' came across to me as just one of those bizarre words in English where the spelling and pronunciation aren't at all alike. Some others that come to mind are ennui (ahn-wee), indict (in-dait), gnome (nohm), macabre (muh-kahb), paradigm (pair-uh-daim), phlegm (flem), Scythian (sih-thee-un), and subtle (suht-uhl).

If naturalist Steve Irwin's pronunciation is any indication, it would seem that Australians would pronounce gauge as gaij (or gaidzh etc.) and they would be about the only exceptions.
Kirk   Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:48 am GMT
<<Antimoon has passed from being one of the most beautiful and intelligent forums on the web, to a horrible place where everybody insults other people just because they think differently. I'm happy to see good people like Brennus or Damian in Edinburgh. I'm sorry I can't give useful information, but I've got to say what it's obvious.>>

Xatufan, have you checked out our forum here?

http://14.freebb.com/index.php?freebb=antimoonbis

Many antimooners (plus some new people) post here and we've been having some great discussions. We'd love to see some of your comments there, if you're interested :)
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:50 am GMT
Thanks for that XATUFAN. Anyway, where have you been these last few weeks? Your light has been obscured by some bushel somewhere.....

In open forums (yes, that apparently is the more usual plural form...fora is accepted but it looks weird) like this you are bound to get people whose main motive is to act in the way you mentioned....no matter....all part of life's rich pattern.

Talking of "gauge".....this is one word I've always had a spell prob with......I insist on writing "guage" for some reason. Perhaps I unconsciously think it's a "q" rather than a "g" to be followed by a "u". Now it's me who's weird. Ok Ok....I know......who cares..

:-)

Talking about Steve Irwin.....fantastic guy...fits my image of a typical Aussie.....he's a nutter......he was lying on the ground on his stomach right by one of Australia's (and the world's) most venomous snakes.....the firece snake of Queensland....and this f*****g serpent was swaying about one inch from his face! Brave...or just crazy?
greg   Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:26 pm GMT
An <gauge> de l'AF <gauge>, apparenté à Fr <jauge>.

AF <gauge> du francique <galga> = Fr <verge>.
Al <Galgen> de l'ancien haut-allemand <galgo> = Fr <potence>/<gibet>.
Guest   Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:19 pm GMT
gauge also gage

NOUN: A means by which individuals are compared and judged: benchmark, criterion, mark, measure, standard, test, touchstone, yardstick. See USUAL.
VERB: 1. To make a judgment as to the worth or value of: appraise, assay, assess, calculate, estimate, evaluate, judge, rate1, size up, valuate, value. Idioms: take the measure of. See VALUE. 2. To ascertain the dimensions, quantity, or capacity of: measure. Archaic : mete. Idioms: take the measure of. See BIG.

Roget’s II: The New Thesaurus, Third Edition. Copyright © 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by the Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Guest   Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:34 pm GMT
I was interested to 'note' XATUFAN comments about the quality of dialogue in 'Antimoon Forums'.

Politicians use the word 'note' when they notice something, but do not necessarily intend to do anything about it.

When I first started contributing to Anitmoon, I came across a number of 'anti-english' comments, describing English people as drunken hooligans. I can also remember coming across some fairly vitriolic comments about the differences between 'English, Welsh, and Scots' people.

I think it is always unpleasant when you have to deal with naked prejudice. Apparently the Krakov v. Blackburn football match was spoilt by some racist comments.

Is it best to deal with 'racism' etc. head on, or should you try to win the argument?

I think most people feel the need to reflect on their own attitudes now and again.

Personally, I like to feel that I make a positive contribution to 'antimoon', and on the whole I think that most discussions are reasonably civil.

Most people who look at this site are unable to see the televised sittings of the House of Commons. But, there are times, when the debate becomes silly, and other times when it just unpleasant and trivial. However most British people still regard the House of Commons as one of our great national institutions and a beacon of democracy.
willen   Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:07 am GMT
very good!!!