How do Americans pronounce "car raceer"?

Super Korean   Tue May 26, 2009 9:06 am GMT
How do Americans(rhotic speakers) pronounce the word "car racer"?

Do you pronounce it as "car-racer(with two r sounds)" or more like "cah-racer(with just one r sound)"?

I notice many Americans pronounce the word "governor" and "surprise" with one r sound. I was wondering if it's the same for the word "car racer".
John   Tue May 26, 2009 9:48 am GMT
Some people on the East Coast such as New York or Boston would pronounce it "cah-raca" but mot GA speakers would pronounce both R-sounds
rhotician   Tue May 26, 2009 10:01 am GMT
Two "r" sounds, here
+   Tue May 26, 2009 10:46 am GMT
I pronounce both Rs in car racer. I also use both Rs in governor and surprise.
LexDiamondz   Tue May 26, 2009 10:53 am GMT
I'm fully non-rhotic (Caribbean parentage, raised in New York City) so I'd pronounce it something close to Cah rasa.

I also drop both R's in governor and the first R in surprise (sometimes I don't even remember to write it lol)
Travis   Wed May 27, 2009 2:03 am GMT
Here "car racer" is [ˈkʰɑːʁ ˈʁesʁ̩(ː)], but "governor" is [ˈg̥ʌːvə̃ːnʁ̩(ː)] and "surprise" is [səˈpʰʁae̯z̥]~[səˈpʰʁae̯s].
Daehan Minguk Manse   Wed May 27, 2009 7:06 pm GMT
Roll/trill the first two r's like a Spaniard (or like how North Koreans pronounce "r" in rodong/nodong as in 조선로동당), and curl your tongue for the last r.

[ˈkʰɑːrreisʁ̩(ː)]

Hehehe. Don't take me seriously =p
Daehan Minguk Manse   Wed May 27, 2009 7:11 pm GMT
By the way... my friend and I were just wondering why all Koreans from Korea want to speak English with an American accent? (I'm British Korean and my friend is Australian Korean.)
Travis   Wed May 27, 2009 7:16 pm GMT
>>By the way... my friend and I were just wondering why all Koreans from Korea want to speak English with an American accent? (I'm British Korean and my friend is Australian Korean.)<<

Maybe because South Korea is in the American sphere of influence rather than having (historically) been in the British sphere of influence or being part of Europe?
Baliuwsdr   Wed May 27, 2009 7:27 pm GMT
The interest might be of a different reason...has anybody seen the movie Outsourced? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425326

I imagine there are a lot of people who want to achieve a certain sound or accent as soon as possible, to appear more convincing in those call centerĀ“s ...somewhere on an *island* pretending to be just around the corner from you, you know, right next to Wallmart, yes, there at the red-light with the bullriding billboard, where the pumpkinĀ“s are sold ;)
rhotique   Wed May 27, 2009 8:13 pm GMT
So anyway, to recap, "car racer" gets no special treatment in rhotic dialects of English.
Daehan Minguk Manse   Thu May 28, 2009 1:32 am GMT
Travis: "Maybe because South Korea is in the American sphere of influence rather than having (historically) been in the British sphere of influence or being part of Europe?"

First off, sorry for the tangent.

Yes I totally understand that. I know that most English teaching materials in Korea are based on American English due to history/cutural influence. That's just natural. But what surprises me is how South Koreans are usually really, really, really eager to imitate American speech. They really stress things like rhoticity. I'm not making an assumption from the question. All the younger South Koreans I know pay a lot of attention to curling their tongue every time they come across an r.

Other East Asian countries like Japan and Taiwan are also heavily influenced by the US but they're not as obsessive as South Korea about being American. Not only for language but also things like religion (i.e. Christianity in Korea). Okay, I'm biased because I'm British Korean AND Buddhist, but still...
Super Korean   Fri May 29, 2009 9:19 am GMT
Some Korean people prefer a British accent (not an Australian one though) over American accent because it sounds fancier and smarter than an American accent.
Most people want to imitate American speech because it's familiar to them.

British Korean(?), are you a Korean citizen of British descent?
Daehan Minguk Manse   Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:40 am GMT
Super Korean: "British Korean(?), are you a Korean citizen of British descent?"

Haha, other way round =p
British citizen of Korean descent. I honestly wish I were more Korean though... sometimes I think I'm too Anglicised for my own good.

You just reminded me of something interesting:
In the UK, "British Korean", "British Chinese", etc. refer to British citizens of Korean, Chinese, etc. descent.

In the US, "Korean American", "Chinese American", etc. refer to American citizens of Korean, Chinese, etc. descent.
VerbotenGott   Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:42 pm GMT
Two r's for car racer, two for governor, one for surprise. :P