off of/off/offa

MollyB   Wed May 27, 2009 9:35 am GMT
Which would you normally find yourself using?

Get off of my arm!
Get offa my arm!
Get off my arm!
Off   Wed May 27, 2009 10:46 am GMT
This one: Get off my arm!

I've never heard: Get offa my arm!
Offa?
Entbark   Thu May 28, 2009 12:34 am GMT
By "offa" she means "off o'," contracting the "of." I've heard usage similar to all three, but the "of" seems a little redundant.
Trimac20   Thu May 28, 2009 4:09 am GMT
Saying 'get off of me' is a distinctly American phrase that is indeed pretty redundant and plain annoys me.
Amy   Thu May 28, 2009 7:07 am GMT
<<Saying 'get off of me' is a distinctly American phrase that is indeed pretty redundant and plain annoys me.>>

Really? Does the "of" here annoy you too?

Get the hell out of/outa here!
MollyB   Thu May 28, 2009 7:17 am GMT
It may be semantically redundant, but it often has the discourse function of emphasizing the action.
User   Thu May 28, 2009 7:10 pm GMT
"Get out here!" and "Get out of here!" mean different things.
Amabo   Fri May 29, 2009 1:59 pm GMT
"It may be semantically redundant, but it often has the discourse function of emphasizing the action."

Indeed. Emphasis being the principal purpose for redundancy of course.

The best example is the much-maligned double negative.
Travis   Fri May 29, 2009 2:35 pm GMT
One thing is also that the "of" indicates the action is going from a state of being "on" something to being "off" that thing, whereas "off" alone only indicates a state of being "off" such with no initial state of being "on" something being indicated.
Mufti   Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:22 pm GMT
<<whereas "off" alone only indicates a state of being "off" such with no initial state of being "on" something being indicated. >>

But isn't it meant to indicate "off" as opposed to "on?

e.g.

The light is off.

He is off the train.
Mufti   Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:24 pm GMT
<<Indeed. Emphasis being the principal purpose for redundancy of course. >>

Why the emphasis/redundacy here?

it is human utterance
Travis   Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:27 pm GMT
>><<whereas "off" alone only indicates a state of being "off" such with no initial state of being "on" something being indicated. >>

But isn't it meant to indicate "off" as opposed to "on?

e.g.

The light is off.

He is off the train.<<

At least in the dialect here, the thing is that "off" does not necessarily indicate a change of state, whereas "off of" explicitly indicates a change of state. For instance, take your example of "He is off the train" - all that states is that the individual in question is not on the train. However, "He is off of the train (now)" explicitly states that the individual in question just got off the train and had previously been on the train.
Travis   Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:42 pm GMT
I should note that another way to look at it is that "off of" is to "off" what "into" is to "in" and "onto" is to "on", which might make the whole matter clearer.
Mufti   Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:54 pm GMT
<However, "He is off of the train (now)" explicitly states that the individual in question just got off the train and had previously been on the train. >

So you couldn't say "he's off of the train at the moment, but it's leaving soon and he'll be on it", could you?
Travis   Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:51 pm GMT
Yeah, that usage of "off of" just does not sound right to my ears, even though I would understand what someone meant if they said it. Rather one would normally say "He's off the train at the moment, [...]" or "He's not on the train at the moment, [...]" here.