Fight and Fart: Homophones?

Johnny   Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:07 pm GMT
Homophones in Southern American English or African American English? I just thought of this because I just heard a black guy say "fighting while you sleep", but it turned out he was actually saying "farting while you sleep".
Thanks.
user   Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:10 pm GMT
No, "fight" has no R sound.
user2   Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:31 pm GMT
They are not homophones (in standard English):

fart: /fɑːt/ or /fɑːrt/
fight: /fait/

The "a" sound is different.
Johnny   Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:07 pm GMT
I know, but I said "in Southern American English or African American English". I don't think they are homophones, on second thought, but it's confusing.
Almond Bread   Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:21 am GMT
... I [i]want[/i] to say that the vowels would still be distinct: that "fighting" would be at worst /fæːʔ.n̩/, and "farting" instead /fɑʔ.n̩/. The more I think about it, though, the less sure I am of that.

(For reference, I'm from Texas; my own idiolect is rhotic and relatively vocalically-conservative, though.)
Trimac20   Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:26 am GMT
No, even though AAVE is largely non-rhotic they would still differ, or at least be minimal pairs. 'Fart' sounds more rounded, closer to an 'o' sound from what I've heard of non-rhotic southern accents. Rhotic southern - ditto. The way southerners say 'fight' though seems practically homophonous to how a traditional Bostonian would say it, or how I (an Australia) would. Sounds like 'faht.'
Trawicks   Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:19 pm GMT
Actually, in a few mostly rural areas of Northern England the two words can be merged or near-merged, both as /fa:t/. Although I'm fairly sure the phonemes are actually distinct in the speaker's mind. The overlap is just a side effect of glide-deletion of the /ai/ phoneme.
LexDiamond   Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:38 pm GMT
No, in AAVE Fight and Fart are not homophones, at least not in my geographic region (New York)

However, AAVE is spoken differently depending on region and social class.