off/of pronunciation

hércules   Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:40 pm GMT
hi folks,

could somebody write down the IPA pronunciation of these two words: off/of.

I've seen in a dictionary that off is pronounced with an F and the other one with the V sound. Is it correct?
Because, when I watch American movies, they don't tend to distinguish these sounds. On the other hand, Brits do pronounce it separately.

Thanks
offof   Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:40 pm GMT
They are distinguished in every variety of North American English. "Off" has a vowel that ranges from [a] to [O] (usually [A] in non-California or Canadian shifted varieties that merge the vowel in words such as bother-father-cot-caught (besides certain areas on the east coast), and some Northern-cities vowel shifted areas)), or [Q] in other areas. It final consonant is [f].

Of sounds like "uv". Same vowel as in "up".
Kess   Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:01 am GMT
''I've seen in a dictionary that off is pronounced with an F and the other one with the V sound. Is it correct? ''

OF is one of the most mispronounced words by foreign speakers of English (along with IRON). It's written OF, but it's pronounced as OV, therefore the
informal spelling: ''I should of known'' instead of ''I should've known''.
Kess   Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:03 am GMT
''I've seen in a dictionary that off is pronounced with an F and the other one with the V sound. Is it correct? ''
//

OF [@v] can be heard clearly at the end of a sentence:
''There's nothing to be afraid of'' [@v]

''There's nothing to be afraid off'' (as pronounced by foreigners) sounds off [Af]...

Of course, the boat is off course...