English grammar is chaotic !

Hopeful   Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:01 am GMT
oh! English pronounciation can be difficult for starters, but I don't think so (maybe because I have spoken it so long)
Ben   Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:08 pm GMT
Brennus,

The Irish language is a REALLY regular language. It only has 11 irregular verbs, and virtually all words are spelt phonetically - using Irish phonetics. Granted, because it isn't a Europeon language in the usual sense of the term English-speaking people initially find it difficult, but it really is so regualr once you get over that initial hurdle everything's alright.

Ben.
Sander   Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:27 pm GMT
Well personally I think English grammer isn't that hard or 'irregular'.Just because words can be spelled differently or pronounced doesn't make it harder, it makes it easier.
Sander   Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:40 pm GMT
=>because it isn't a Europeon language<=

Irish is a European language by geography and also by clasification (Indo European that is.)
Ben   Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:42 pm GMT
Yes I know Sander, it's also now an official language of the Europian Union. That's why I put 'in the usual sense' after it. It isn't a latin-derived language, like most other languages on the Europian continent.

Ben.
Lazar   Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:57 pm GMT
<<It isn't a latin-derived language, like most other languages on the Europian continent.>>

Most European languages are not Latin-derived.
JJM   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:08 pm GMT
Yep, there's some sloppy thinking going on in this thread.

The whole premise is specious to begin with. It's based on someone's purely subjective view about English.

Also, remember to put spelling to one side when you discuss language. That's a set of purely arbitrary written conventions which should always be discussed as a separate issue in its own right.

There simply is NO way to objectively judge the merits of one language against another.

And as far as being "chaotic," if English truly was chaotic, it wouldn't exist.

Without a set of common grammatical functions, vocabulary and sounds understood and employed by at least two speakers, you don't have a language.
Ben.   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:21 pm GMT
Lazar,

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Thank you for informing me about my misinformation. I thought that Spanish, Portugese, Italian,Sardinian, Sicilian, Corsican, French, Catalan, Occitan, Romansh, and Romanian were all romance languages. These are the languages I think of being typically European, although this is probably a conservative view. Obviously other people don't think that way.

Either way, Irish grammar isn't that bad ;)

Ben.
Lazar   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:29 pm GMT
<<I thought that Spanish, Portugese, Italian,Sardinian, Sicilian, Corsican, French, Catalan, Occitan, Romansh, and Romanian were all romance languages.>>

They are.

<<These are the languages I think of being typically European, although this is probably a conservative view.>>

Ever heard of the Germanic and Balto-Slavic languages, among others?
Lazar   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:33 pm GMT
I'm sorry if I came off as rude above, but I really don't know what you mean by "typically European". There's a massive number of languages indigenous to Europe that are not in the Romance family.
Ben   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:33 pm GMT
Yes I have Lazar, but when I think of European languages the first ones which come to mind are the ones I mentioned. I already said that this is probably a conservative view, and have also thanked you for informing that I was wrong to say this just off the wall. I was unaware it would spark any great disagreement.

I'm not sure whether there was sarcasm in that last question of yours because I don't know you and it's difficult to tell over the internet. I have however, given you the benefit of the doubt. I hope no arguements come of this.

Thanks,
Ben.
Adam   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:52 pm GMT
"or there is a case where the country speaking the language has been invaded a lot ( England, Hungary and Romania)."

England hasn't been invaded a lot. It hasn't been invaded since 1066.

England is usually the invader, not the invadee.
Adam   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:54 pm GMT
"If you consider German as one of the best examples of a logical an organized language among modern European languages "

Yeah, that's why the Germans only this year had to reform the language.
Graeme   Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:34 pm GMT
I liked that Stornaway comment. Just like Strathaven (stray-ven) and Milngavie (mohr-guy). Even knowing a little Gaelic, it still doesn't make sense.
Over in Newport, RI they have a Thames street (pronounced Thaymes). When I saw the name I naturally said "tems" as in London, and got laughed at by friends. When I explained it was different in the UK, they said "well you're in America now" even though it had obviously been named after the river from England and people were mispronouncing it for generations.
So, there are many factors relating to the 'chaos' of English and part of that is that it is such an exported language, with many imports as well!
Terry   Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:49 pm GMT
What you mean is "phonemically (not phonetically) accurate writing systems." No writing system really strives for phonetic accuracy, but *phonemic* accuracy. There's a huge difference. >>

Oh no! What ever happened to "Fun with Phonics"? Did my first-grade teacher lie? :)