fit the respective foot strike of the runners.If you want to

[url=http://www.hijordans.com]buy jordan shoes[/url] ,you are welcome

to visit [url=http://www.hijordans.com]www.hijordans.com[/url]. Also

if you would like to know more about air jordan shoes,you are welcome

to our [url=http://www.hijordans.com/blog]jordan shoes blog[/url] to

have a look [url=http://www.hijordans.com/blog/]

www.hijordans.com/blog/[/url]
000   Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:28 pm GMT
>> i know many people who live in other parts of the u.s. and ALL of them, say we here in the northwest DO have an accent. <<

I don't believe it. In fact, most people from other areas cannot hear a Seattle accent at all. They are completely oblivious to the fact that there is an accent. Listen to this sample of a Seattle accent, people, of a "Please Call Stella" passage, and you can vote if Seattle has an accent:

http://accent.gmu.edu/searchsaa.php?function=detail&speakerid=103

Well actually that guy's from Vancouver, BC, but people from Seattle would sound the same reading that passage, so we can call it a Seattle accent. Based on that recording, there can be no conclusion other than the fact that Seattle has no noticeable accent whatsoever. What do you guys think?
000   Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:32 pm GMT
>> and my personal favorite - "Almost all English speakers do this." <<

??? How do other English speakers who are not from Seattle pronounce "months", if not "munts"? How is pronouncing months as "munts" "evidence for the Seattle accent"?
welcome to the kingdome   Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:13 am GMT
How do other English speakers who are not from Seattle pronounce "months", if not "munts"? How is pronouncing months as "munts" "evidence for the Seattle accent"?

they pronounce it like it is spelled. ending with a the soft "th".

have you been to vancouver b.c.?

believe it or not, canadians do have accents. ..yes, even those who live in vancouver b.c.

you may think, "well the city of vancouver is only three hours north of seattle. how on earth can there be any difference in accent?" new york and new jersey are very close in distance from one another, yet the accents are different. the same can be said for other cities such as philadelphia, which is only three hours south. if you'd like another more interesting example, look at the city of london. the difference in accents can be heard from the east and west end.

unless you are from seattle or the surrounding areas of the northwest, you will have no idea, what i am talking about. i would suggest, spending some time here and hearing it for yourself.

if we here in pacific northwest did not have any accent, this topic would not be up for debate. also, there wouldn't be countless articles written about it, by linguists.

* another thing that i will say in closing here.. is, the pacific northwest accent can be heard in those who have been born and raised here. keep in mind, that seattle, like most other major cities, have people living here, who have moved here, from all different parts of the united states and the world. i am not a northwest native. i moved here from texas when i was thirteen and have been living here in the pacific northwest, for 23 years. i remember asking me where i was from, based on my accent. to me, i had no accent. nor, when i was living in texas, did i notice the "southern accent". i do however, remember noticing a difference in accent when i moved here. seattle was a different place, than it is now. there were not many people in a hurry to move here. it wasn't until the early to mid 90's when the pacific northwest, saw an influx of people, (with different accents) moving in and settling down. when this happened, the economy was powerful and the cost of housing went sky high. many, seattle natives soon began to move, outward from the city to other near by cities, such as, everett, tacoma, and bellingham. it is in, these neighboring cities, that the true northwest accent, can be heard.
helloworld888@live.cn   Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:48 pm GMT
you need <a href="http://www.hijordans.com/"><font color="#282827">Air Jordan Shoes</font></a>.Sport commonli refer to activ where the physic capabl of the competitor ar the sole. Air Jordan shoe ar the best choice. The term is also us to includ mani activities.Y need to <a href="http://www.hijordans.com/"><font color="#282827">bui jordan shoes</font></a>. Sport is commonli defin as an organized,One of my buddi hit me up thi morn with a question after read the Air Jordan XI "Space Jams" post from yesterday. He rememb there be some associ with Bug Bunni for the Air Jordan VII' and wa a littl confused. What he wa rememb wa the "Hare Jordan" commerci from 1992 which is an all time classic. I total forgot about thi commerci but after look it up on YouTub I rememb how much I us to love it. Thi is probabl where thei got the conept for the Space Jam movi in the first place.<a href="http://www.hijordans.com/"><font color="#282827">Jordan Shoes</font></a> is deepli relat with sport.W can sai that <b>Jordan Shoes</b> ar born for sports. If you want to do some sports.ompetit and skill physic activity.Y can believ in Air Jordans.I actual rock the black colorwai of the VII' that Jordan is wear in the commerci for freshman basketball. I outgrew and beat the shit out of them but thei were by far on of my favorit hoop shoe ever. Thei were super comfort and look dope as hell on and off the court. I wish I would have bought the VII' a few year ago when thei retro'd the origin colorway. Thei actual re-releas the Hare Jordan in June 2008 as part of the Air Jordan VII/XVI Countdown Pack which I think is a veri underr pack. welcome to our <a href="http://www.hijordans.com/blog">jordan shoes blog</a> to have a look.
name   Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:25 pm GMT
>> you may think, "well the city of vancouver is only three hours north of seattle. how on earth can there be any difference in accent?" new york and new jersey are very close in distance from one another, yet the accents are different. the same can be said for other cities such as philadelphia, which is only three hours south <<

Have you actually listened to the sample? The sample is perfectly representative of either Seattle or Vancouver. Notice that words like "Mazda" or "pasta" are not used in the sample, where Vancouver and Seattle would differ in pronunciation.

>> i am not a northwest native. i moved here from texas when i was thirteen and have been iving here in the pacific northwest, for 23 years. i remember asking me where was from, based on my accent. to me, had no accent. nor, when i was living in texas, did i notice the "southern accent" <<

Yes indeed one would notice a difference in accent between most of Texas and Seattle. However, I've noticed that most people from other areas, such as, Portland, or LA, or Phoenix would be hard-pressed to tell a difference between a Seattle accent and their own. I've even met people from Chicago that couldn't hear the difference between a Chicago and a Seattle accent. However, the differences between Seattle, and most areas of the far West further south of it, is the pronunciation of words like BAG or FLAG, where in Seattle, many people use a vowel that is different from the vowel in BAD or BAT. The vowel sounds almost like the BAY vowel, but it is not quite that either. Someone from LA, for instance would be more likely to use the same vowel in BAG and BAT. Another thing is the 2nd vowel in TOMORROW, which many, but not all people in Seattle use the NORTH vowel, rather than the FAR vowel.

Then of course there is the COT-CAUGHT merger, which virtually 100% of Seattle natives have, as do most others in the far West. This contrasts with places like Chicago--people there make a clear distinction between words like DON and DAWN, and can hear it when others do it. A Seattle native would be able to neither pronounce them differently, nor hear the difference when someone made a distinction between them. A Seattlelite when pronouncing those two words would pronounce them as something that either sounded like DON or DAWN to others. Also AH and AW look like simply spelling variations than actually distinctions, in the same way that "I" and "eye" are.

There's also the Canadian and California vowel shift. In my opinion some Seattlelites have this shift, but to a much lesser extent than Canadians do. This makes the COT/CAUGHT vowel sound very rounded to others, and PET to sound more like PAT, and PAT to sound more like PAHT to people that don't have the shift.

There's also some Canadian raising of diphthongs in Seattle, which I believe doesn't exist at all in most of the far Western US. But it's not as strong as in Canada.

And that's it!

Otherwise the accent is identical to any other place in the far Western US.

As for the examples that you gave, they were hardly unique to Seattle, and mostly reflected things like epenthesis, elision, etc. IIRC.

Months pronounced as "munts" is listed as the *first* (ergo most common) pronunciation in Merriam-Webster.
Kelly   Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:31 pm GMT
''Months pronounced as "munts" is listed as the *first* (ergo most common) pronunciation in Merriam-Webster.''

And it's not listed at all in the new MW:

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/months
name   Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:14 pm GMT
Doesn't matter. I'm sure he didn't do a study on the pronunciation of "months" to find out if it was the most prevalent pronunciation in Seattle, and then compared it to other cities in the English-speaking world. He probably simply hypercorrected his speech to pronounce "months" as "months", moved to Seattle, and then heard one guy saying it like that, and it stuck out to him. I seriously don't understand how that pronunciation can be so streongly associated with Seattle.
namename   Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:18 pm GMT
I suppose if he decided to pronounce the "t" in often, then moved to Seattle, and heard that people do not actually not pronounce the "t", he would say "Ah...the t-less pronunciation is found in Seattle. How curious."
welcome to the kingdome   Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:07 pm GMT
dear name and namename..

"Doesn't matter. I'm sure he didn't do a study on the pronunciation of "months" to find out if it was the most prevalent pronunciation in Seattle, and then compared it to other cities in the English-speaking world. He probably simply hypercorrected his speech to pronounce "months" as "months", moved to Seattle, and then heard one guy saying it like that, and it stuck out to him. I seriously don't understand how that pronunciation can be so streongly associated with Seattle."

wow. good comeback. you're response really brings a lot of knowledge and light to this subject. way to really prove your point and prove me wrong.

i would suggest leaving the confines of your house, where you hide behind your computer, and listen to the difference in american accents. if you don't hear the difference in accent between one who is a native of the northwest and one who lives in chigago? man.. i would suggest not only keeping your knowledge to yourself, but also off this forum.
namenamename   Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:29 pm GMT
>> i would suggest leaving the confines of your house, where you hide behind your computer <<

I'm typing this from my mobile. Outside.

>> f you don't hear the difference in accen between one who is a native of the northwest and one who lives n chigago? <<

I can certainly hear the difference in pronunciation. I just listen for the Northern cities vowel shift. Or I listen if the person consistently makes a difference between words like COT/DON on one hand and CAUGHT/DAWN. No Seattle native would make a consistent differentiation of those vowels (if you listen long enough), whereas someone from Chicago would. Also their COT could sound similar to a Seattlite's CAT.
Gina.   Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:50 pm GMT
I know someone from Seattle & he speaks just like an American from say, Ohio. They don't have an accent in my opinion really.
Kess   Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:28 pm GMT
I know someone from Seattle & he speaks just like an American from say, Ohio.

//
They are at least 4 accents in Ohio:

1. Northern Cities Vowel Shift Region (Cleveland, Toledo)
2. Cot/Caught Merged Region (Eastern Ohio)
3. Cot/Caught Transitionally Merged Area becoming Fully Merged (Columbus)
4. Southern accent (Cincinnati)

So, when you say Ohio accent, which Ohio accent do you mean? LOL
tyler   Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:58 pm GMT
Seattle natives have an accent that's in the middle of a continuum between Conservative General American English (newscaster) (but with the cot-caught merger) and Western Canadian English.

GA==========================CE
===Seattle=====

For example, I have -ag raising (words like bag have a vowel more like in "vague"), I use the NORTH vowel in the second syllable of TOMORROW, and have (inconsistent) Canadian raising. I also have a trace of the Canadian shift. By contrast, my friend, also a native, and has done very little travel, has -ag raising, but no Canadian raising, has no Canadian shift, and uses the AH vowel in TOMMOROW. Another friend speaks essentially Conservative General American except for her cot-caught merger.
tyler   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:45 am GMT
The graphic came out a bit funny. It was supposed to show Seattle near the middle, but skewed slightly more to the conservative side.