Gordon Ramsay

Jasper   Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:07 pm GMT
DAMIAN:

'would any American say to his friend: "Come on you mean old bastard, it's your round now!" (bearing in mind that the guy is most definitely not stingy, not old and he is of standard parentage) or "You look like you fell out with a lawn mower!" after the same bloke had just had a new style haircut?'

Damian, you MIGHT be able to get away with the first one if you knew your target very, very well and were close to him. You MIGHT; it'd depend upon the nature of the relationship.

I don't think anybody would say the second one; in fact, you'd probably bruise your friend's ego pretty badly.
Jasper   Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:18 pm GMT
↑ In fact, the second one falls into the same category as "That dress makes you look fat."
Liz   Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:54 am GMT
<<<You look like you fell out with a lawn mower!>>>

Haha...we do say the same thing in Hungary, too. I reckon we are another piss-taking nation. There are some people, though, who can't get these jokes and take offence easily. But I don't think anyone would take offence for the lawn mover joke over here.

<<<In fact, the second one falls into the same category as "That dress makes you look fat.>>>

I don't think so, but it might be because I'm not American. "That dress makes you look fat" is a way of expressing criticism rather overtly, whilst the other one is a friendly teasing remark implying nothing but the fact that your hair has become remarkably shorter.
MrPedantic   Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:26 am GMT
This thread is going nowhere.

MrP
MrPedantic   Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:24 pm GMT
<This thread is going nowhere.>

Disowned: posted by the forum troll.

MrP
Damian London E14   Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:38 am GMT
For the benefit of those of you who are outside of the UK, or of those within the UK who do not watch any of the commercial TV channels, Gordon Ramsay appears to appear in an advertisement for some kind of foodstuff or other - I'm not sure quite what....or even if it is an advertisement at all. I was in semi slumber mode when I saw it on GMTV ITV1.

Anyway, the important thing is this - throughout the entire slot he doesn't utter one single swear word at all, not even a mild one! He could well be a Trappist monk, but there again - Trappist monks don't utter any kind of words at all do they?

His very name Gordon is a clue to his Scottish roots.....it's a traditional Scottish name...as in the Gordon Highlanders, and our "illustrious" leader Mr Brown.........
Gordon's a pisspoor socce   Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:42 pm GMT
Ramsey is an muppet. The one thing you don't do when you're bankrolled by your father-in-law is to get caught having an affair. What you do is go the other side of the world and insult everybody.