verb and particle switching roles

xBix   Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:28 pm GMT
<<It's a pleasure to read your posts, especially after all the pointless aggression from a certain other contributor here.>>

I sense a trolling and stalking MrP afoot.
XBix   Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:30 pm GMT
<'offed' is not a word in the dictionary. >

Do all the words of English appear in dictionaries?
xBix   Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:40 pm GMT
Robin, this is for you, as you seem to like posting music lyrics as proof of something:

"Stole her car, made a profit
Grabbed the tape from out the deck and offed it out the window
Like the girl in `Set It Off` did
Jetted off kid, stole the whip, now I`m a criminal
Drove it through somebody`s yard, dove into they swimmin pool"

http://www.lyricsbay.com/murder_murder_remix_lyrics-eminem.html
Mufti   Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:43 pm GMT
Another example:

"Probably the writers should have gone with more of the former, because the latter is done in the most clumsy and cliched way, deflating the tension by prefacing nearly every murder with maudlin scenes designed to make us feel for the victims before they are murdered; you know someone is about to be offed when they all of a sudden get a melancholic scene of domestic bliss where they are telling their wife/girlfriend/family how much they love them."

http://www.lumieredoor.com/underbelly-like-neighbours-but-with-guns/
Guest   Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:03 pm GMT
<<It's a pleasure to read your posts>>

I sense MrP regretting what he wrote.
Robin Michael   Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:16 am GMT
Hello Everybody

To Mr P.

The best of British!

To XBix

Eminem is a wigger. Not a good example for your English. My favourite wigger is Ali G. However I would like you to listen to Borat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFP-MktgOKU

To MolllyB

Are these English expressions?

Away with him!
I'll away myself if you desire it.

"Away with him!" is fine.

I'll away myself if you desire it. Bizarre

To Mufti

Where is 'offed' in your example?

Bye for now
MrPedantic   Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:23 am GMT
Hello Robin,

<I would like to point out that these dates 1717 and 1643 are so long ago, that the word use they describe, is not that of modern English.>

The dates in the dictionary denote the first recorded use of "off" and "up" as verbs, not the last recorded use. (Obsolete terms tend to be marked as such.)

All the best,

MrP
MrPedantic   Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:38 am GMT
MollyB / XBix / Mufti :

Ex uno Bilbaoano plures.

MrP
.   Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:27 am GMT
out of, from; by reason of; according to; because of, as a result of;
alone, a single/sole; some, some one; only (pl.); one set of (denoting entity);
bilbaoano ======== UNKNOWN
more; several. many;

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

out of one Bilbao Ano several

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Robin Michael   Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:40 am GMT
Sorry Mufti

I did not read your Post properly.

There is an example of 'offed' meaning 'killed'. However it is in a film called 'Under belly' which is about criminals in Australia. The point that I made earlier applies; this is an unusual example from slang (poor English).

I used to be quite keen on gangster films. I particularly liked the 1959 television series 'The Untouchables' about Eliot Ness and Al Capone. One of the characteristics of gangster films are the 'code words' used to describe killing people. In a British gangster documentary the criminals talked a lot about 'Claret'. What they were referring to was 'Blood'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Untouchables_(1959_TV_series)
Robin Michael   Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:48 am GMT
Eliot Ness and the Untouchables

The White Slavers - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V8RSmmn8C8&feature=related

Don't you think that this is a lot more interesting than Grammar?
Goblin   Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:58 am GMT
<<There is an example of 'offed' meaning 'killed'. However it is in a film called 'Under belly' which is about criminals in Australia. The point that I made earlier applies; this is an unusual example from slang (poor English). >>

Poor English is still English. The word exists. Got it?
Robin Michael   Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:01 am GMT
I could either ignore your comment or make some reply. Possibly rather foolishly I will attempt a reply. I will try to avoid being rude or offensive, and I will try to couch my language in academic terms.

English is an International Language.

English is also the indigenous language of various people.

There areas the world where English is spoken, but it is in a form which is NOT understandable to speakers of International English.

These sub-groups of English are called: dialects, creoles, patois, etc.

The words used in these languages are not recognised by speakers of International English. That is not to say that they do not exist somewhere in the world.
Robin Michael   Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:06 am GMT
I could not be bothered spell checking my comments before posting. But I have noticed a mistake which I ought to correct. Although I do wonder why I bother. (No comment required) - I still have a sense of humour.

There are areas the world where English is spoken, but it is in a form which is NOT understandable to speakers of International English.

The words used in these languages are not recognised by speakers of International English. That is not to say that they do not exist somewhere in the world.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Phonetically 'there' and 'there are' are similar. But I will try to convey my message in my best English.
Goblin   Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:51 am GMT
<<
There areas the world where English is spoken, but it is in a form which is NOT understandable to speakers of International English.

The words used in these languages are not recognised by speakers of International English. That is not to say that they do not exist somewhere in the world. >>

Last time I checked, a word didn't have to be recognised internationally to be considered an English word. Open a big dictionary to any page and any native speaker will find a considerable number of words that they have never seen before. Yet they do not question whether they are English words or not.

And are you saying Australian English is a creole and not significant enough for their specific words to be considered English words? Australia is a major English speaking nation and its dialect of English is probably spoken by more people than all most all of the "real-life" British dialects (ie, not RP). It is spoken by 4 times as many people as Scottish English.

<<
The words used in these languages are not recognised by speakers of International English. That is not to say that they do not exist somewhere in the world. >>

What's "International English" got to do with it? If there is one variant of English is not a proper one then that variant is "International English". English's international status has absolutely nothing to do with "to off". It does not negate the fact that Australian English is English (much more English than International English, in fact).

What is your issue anyway? Why are you so defensive, just because you don't know the word doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I am a native speaker and I recognise that I probably don't even know 10% of all English words, and I am comfortable with that fact, so why can't you accept the fact that "to off" exists?