Mr. Vice President

Please   Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:50 pm GMT
When addressing the vice president of a corporation, do you say for example, "Well, you know Mr. Vice President that we're doing all that within our power to ensure the safety of our employees"?
In other words, can you call him Mr. vice president?
I have heard Mr. president before, but am not so sure about this one.
vicevice   Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:36 pm GMT
Nah, you call them by their first name, same as everyone else. It's not the the vice president of the US or something. The only time you use such titles are at, say, a board meeting.
Please   Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:49 pm GMT
Well, the meeting I'm going to is pretty formal, nearly as formal as a board meeting.
MrPedantic   Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:36 am GMT
You can call me Mr God, I do.

MrP
MrPedantic   Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:45 pm GMT
<You can call me Mr God, I do.>

Yet another MollyB / Bridget / MikeyC post.

MrP
MrPedantic   Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:05 pm GMT
<Yet another MollyB / Bridget / MikeyC post.>

Will you please leave my online friends alone!

MrP
Nigel Grimsby   Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:55 pm GMT
<<"Well, you know Mr. Vice President that we're doing all that within our power to ensure the safety of our employees"?>>

I'm not sure that the very formal "Mr Vice President" fits in well with the informal "Well, you know". Perhaps something like this is better:

"Mr Vice President, we would like to let you know that everything within our power is being done to ensure the safety of our employees."
Nigel Grimsby III   Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:14 pm GMT
Even more appropriate for a formal occasion:

"Mr/Ms Vice President, please be informed/advised that everything within our power is being done to ensure the safety of our employees."
Skippy   Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:39 pm GMT
Yes, you'd say "Mr. Vice President" just like you say "Mr. President" (or Madam Vice President or Madam President, when that happens). However, you do frequently hear folks (not just their critics) referring to them by their last name "Mr. Bush" or "Mr. Obama" as well as "Mr. Cheney" and "Mr. Biden."
VP Bathroom Hygiene Dept   Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:46 pm GMT
What is it with large american corporations? Everybody above janitor status has president in their job title.
peon   Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:23 pm GMT
<<What is it with large american corporations? Everybody above janitor status has president in their job title. >>

Usually, there's just one President (and COO or CEO), but there's often a separate Chairman of the Board (sometimes the CEO, too). But there are usually many, many Vice Presidents.

In the (very) large, ponderous, and venerable company I work for, there are Executive Vice Presidents, Senior Vice Presidents, and "plain" Vice Presidents of the Corporation. There are also Presidents (or General Managers) and Vice Presidents of the various divisions. But, we have just one Chairman of the Board and CEO, and no President or COO at the moment.
COO   Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:40 pm GMT
What's the difference between the CEO and COO?
cnablis   Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:15 am GMT
<<What's the difference between the CEO and COO?>>

Every company is different, but:

In companies that have both officers, the COO (Chief Operating Officer) would normally do the day-to-day running of the company (more routine stuff like budgets, payroll, HR, advertising, sales, manufacturing, etc.).
Sometimes, the COO is in training to become the next CEO.

The CEO (Chief Executive Officer) is often responsible for strategy and overall direction, and is the big boss.

If there is a separate Chairman of the Board (who's not CEO), they would run the board of directors, which watches over the corporate officers, theoretically protecting the shareholders, etc. If the CEO, COO and other members of the executive team don't perform well, the board is supposed to fire them. The board often sets executive pay, bonuses, stock options, etc. Often the COO and CEO (if not also Chairman) will be board members.
vp   Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:23 am GMT
What do they call female VPs? Mistress Vice President, or Madame Vice President
Mr Conservative   Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:07 pm GMT
"a liberal mistake"?