post as a preposition

MikeyC   Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:44 am GMT
Is "post" a preposition here?

"How are you feeling, post your operation?"
"Post Monday's meeting, we have decided to dedicate our funds to..."
Leasnam   Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:26 pm GMT
Yes. It is being employed as a proposition in those byspels, but that is not the correct usage of 'post', and it sounds a bit strange and unnatural.

'Post' is usually only used as a prefix ("post-"), as in "post-operative" meaning "after"
MikeyC   Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:57 am GMT
Are we then seeing the introduction of new prepositions to a class that was thought to be closed?
MikeyC   Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:20 am GMT
And this?

"Pre the operation, are you having medication?"
Skippy   Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:42 pm GMT
I agree with Leasnam, it's just a prefix in English.
Bernard   Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:56 am GMT
<I agree with Leasnam, it's just a prefix in English. >

Yes, but above it is functioning as a preposition.
a demotivator   Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:06 am GMT
<<Yes, but above it is functioning as a preposition. >>

Yes, but that's not standard usage. It seems like someone trying to be 'inventive' with the language by making up their own 'unique' phrases. I guess they think it adds to their alleged 'individuality', or maybe they fancy themselves as linguistic geniuses with the ability to influence language use by the mere fact that they think it sounds good. Unfortunately for them, and to our great amusement, it doesn't really work and they end up looking like tools.
Mooze   Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:38 am GMT
<It seems like someone trying to be 'inventive' with the language by making up their own 'unique' phrases.>

Who do you think invented the language? And do you think that the Standard has not changed developed?
Almond Bread   Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:05 am GMT
The standard does indeed change over time, but it hasn't yet changed so far as to include this. (Nor, I suspect, will it ever.)
Mooze   Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:10 pm GMT
but it hasn't yet changed so far as to include this.

Can you name the last few items that were brought in the standard, Almond Bread?