Japanese in Republic of China

acc   Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:13 am GMT
How well do older people speak Japanese in the Republic of China? Do they have an accent? Is it true that all older people speak only Japanese but the younger generation only speaks Chinese? How is it possible to communicate?
Tai-oan-lang   Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:41 am GMT
Really? My grandma and grandfather don't speak Japanese even they were ruled by Japanese.

I just can say only "japan-enthusiastists" in Taiwan speak Japanese well
Tai-oan-lang   Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:44 am GMT
They don't speak Japanese unless they are japan-enthusiastists.
They speak Chinese dialect : Minnan, Hakka,etc.
Young generation often speak Mandarin Chinese.
The common thing between old and young generation is that sometimes they can communicate in Chinese writing.
Super Korean   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:38 am GMT
Japan didn't govern China that thoroughly as they did in Korea.
Japanese rulers forced Koreans to speak Japanese at school, at work and other official settings. They even force Koreans to adopt Japanese names. The current South Korean president has a Japanese-origin name 月山明博. He got his surname back but his given name 明博 doesn't sound Korean.

My Korean grandparents who were born in 1920s spoke fluent Japanese.
My grandfather(mom's father) was ethnically full-Korean but he spoke Japanese better than Korean.
In contrast, hardly any Chinese older people speak good Japanese from my understanding.
J.C.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:54 am GMT
I had the opportunity to visit Taiwan and was surprised that nobody bashed me for speaking Japanese whereas in Korea and China I was told that I "should speak English", which I replied "I have no obligation of speaking English since I'm not American and I can "defend" myself in Chinese and Korean. In Taiwan I spoke Japanese to people who were in their 60s and were educated in Japanese.

Back to the topic, I guess that Taiwanese people looked at the bright side of the Japanese occupation, which was to invest in the country infrastructure and allowed Taiwan to develop to such extent. I was impressed to see the expressways and things that reminded me of Japan. That is also true about the bullet train that was built recently with Japanese help.

Cheers
Xie   Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:06 pm GMT
Sometimes things don't even translate properly in the same culture, the Chinese. I can't hardly imagine how come Japanese culture of the past is still revered today. And I hardly know anything about Taiwan, that may explain.
asdf   Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:04 pm GMT
Do most people in Korea and China speak Japanese as well? I didn't know that.
Super Korean   Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:04 am GMT
<Do most people in Korea and China speak Japanese as well? I didn't know that.>

No we don't.
Some older generations in Korea (people who are over 80 years old) speak Japanese but most people don't unless they learn it at high school and college.
Tai-oan-lang   Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:30 am GMT
"J.C. Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:54 am GMT
I had the opportunity to visit Taiwan and was surprised that nobody bashed me for speaking Japanese whereas in Korea and China I was told that I "should speak English", which I replied "I have no obligation of speaking English since I'm not American and I can "defend" myself in Chinese and Korean. In Taiwan I spoke Japanese to people who were in their 60s and were educated in Japanese.

Back to the topic, I guess that Taiwanese people looked at the bright side of the Japanese occupation, which was to invest in the country infrastructure and allowed Taiwan to develop to such extent. I was impressed to see the expressways and things that reminded me of Japan. That is also true about the bullet train that was built recently with Japanese help.

Cheers "

Yes, I know some older Taiwanese speak good Japanese, but my grandparents and their old friends don't speak Japanese and even don't know what "japanese" is. Btw, they live in (Beimen)Tainan County now. So, this proves that not all Taiwanese who ever was ruled by Japanese can know Japanese.
Tai-oan-lang   Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:37 am GMT
"J.C. Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:54 am GMT

Cheers "

Someone may look at the bright side,but someone may not.

Take the example of native Taiwan leftists, they see Japanese occupation as the suppressors. There is a good example that the foundation of 台糖 is from Japanese robbing Taiwanese people's lands(土地).
I can say that only some of innocent pro-independence who are Japan-enthusiastists don't take our history seriously will look at the bright side.
J.C.   Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:01 am GMT
"Take the example of native Taiwan leftists, they see Japanese occupation as the suppressors. There is a good example that the foundation of 台糖 is from Japanese robbing Taiwanese people's lands(土地).
I can say that only some of innocent pro-independence who are Japan-enthusiastists don't take our history seriously will look at the bright side."

Tai-oan-lang先生:

Thanks for filling me with this info I never heard about Taiwan. Most people I met who spoke Japanese were Chinese and not native Taiwanese.

Looking at the Japanese invasion of many countries in Asia and South Pacific I don't think they have done good things for most people. Still, I think there are many ways to look at history and live with ourselves without hating people who have nothing (at least not directly) to do with what happened to our ancestors. When I look at China and Korea sometimes I have the impression they are hating a country or a language of people who have NEVER harmed them. Talking about the occupation of Korea and the Nanjing massacre is a good reminder of what shouldn't be repeated but I don't think it's fair to blame modern Japan for what happened a long time ago. Again, I'm not saying this trying to defend what Japan did (Which I TOTALLY despise) but think that people should move on.

Peace!!!