Unusual structure

Please   Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:41 pm GMT
Do you have anything to dish in about the structure of this sentence: "Get ready for Hart to come. Because come he would; at the first sound of his partner's screams."
Dishy Dash   Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:51 pm GMT
Why is she going to scream?
MrPedantic   Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:53 pm GMT
Hello Please,

That's a very interesting question, which I've never seen on a grammar forum before.

I would say that the word order in the "because" clause is modified (fronting the infinitive "come", instead of leaving it in its natural position after "would") as a rhetorical device, to exploit the repetition of the significant word to the full. The semi-colon moreover forces a pause, after the unusual word order, isolating it and emphasising it still more.

However, these are only sketchy first thoughts; another member may well have a better explanation.

All the best,

MrP
Dishy Dash   Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:58 pm GMT
Would that be a better member or a bigger member? Is that why she's going to scream? Tell more!
Please   Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:16 pm GMT
MrP,
Thanks much for the response. I'll try to decipher your answer a little later. In the mean time, I need to address Dishy Dash's persistent request (Dishy who erroneously believes that the passage somehow alluded to something sexual).

Here is a a fuller context, Dishy Dash:

She now thought: Stun him with the bolo and charge in fast. Jam the spear into his back as hard as you can. Grab the shotgun.
And get ready for Hart to come. Because come he would; at the first sound of his partner's screams.

Brynn stepped from the tree, sized up her target, then swung the bolo and let it fly.
The ball arced toward him and clipped his ear. He cried out and dropped the gun...
MrPedantic   Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:41 pm GMT
<Dishy who erroneously believes that the passage somehow alluded to something sexual>

I suppose the original sentence was a little like a Rorschach test. Dishy may have noisy neighbours.

Good luck with the deciphering; sorry it wasn't clearer. (I'm not altogether sure it was right.)

MrP
Dishy Dash   Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:46 pm GMT
Grateful I am.

"Jam the spear into his back as hard as you can"
"get ready for Hart to come"
"Grab...the ball"

Now, now, please.
How is this not sexual?
Please   Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:54 pm GMT
ROFLMFAO