Pronunciation of "just"

just pronunciation   Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:12 pm GMT
I tend to pronounce "just" as /dzʌst/ rather than /dʒʌst/. What you think of that? And this occurs also when I'm not stressing the word.
American   Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:29 pm GMT
Sorry, can't read your symbols, but I pronounce just as /dZ@st/
just   Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:47 pm GMT
If you don't know the IPA, here is some help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_English_pronunciation_key
Another Guest   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:34 pm GMT
So you pronounce it like "zest" except with a different vowel? That's rather bizarre. If I were listening to you, and you pronounced it that way, I don't think I'd know what you meant without a lot of context.
just   Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:15 pm GMT
"So you pronounce it like "zest" except with a different vowel?"

No. I do pronounce the d: I say /dzʌst/.
huh   Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:21 pm GMT
I thought English lacked initial /dz/. Obviously you are not a native speaker.
Another Guest   Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:12 am GMT
How does dz differ from z?
American   Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:40 pm GMT
The word kids has /dz/. Biz (as in business) has /z/.
.   Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:58 pm GMT
I'm curious! I guess you don't says /dzʌst/.
Post your voice here for us to hear and evaluate.
Skippy   Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:09 am GMT
The 'dz' sounds strange to me. I'd stick with the 'dZ.'
Entbark   Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:09 am GMT
I've heard people use initial /dz/ but it's not very common. Now that I think about it, it's usually a young child who would use it in place of /dʒ/.
Justin   Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:45 am GMT
Just as in regular J. (the J sound as in Jam and Joe!)
Another Guest   Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 pm GMT
I don't understand why the sound is being given as /dʒ/. There's no d in "just".
Kitsch   Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:11 pm GMT
My first name is Justin, I'm American and over the years I've noticed some people pronounce my name oddly. Some people pronounce it almost like "Jestin" or "Dyestin". The only person I remember in particular was aa kid I went to school with - he was from Alaska, not sure if that had anything to do with it. I've noticed that older people seem to say it more like that too - the same generation of people that pronounce Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as "Mundee" "Toosdee" "Wendsdee." Again, not entirely sure what the group is, but I don't think it's that uncommon, just pronunciation.

And, to Another Guest, there can indeed be a d sound in J. J is pretty much the combination of Dy.
Washingtonian (the state)   Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:38 pm GMT
Even closer than dy is dzh (where zh is like the "s" in Asia).

I pronounce Justin as "Jestin". How else could it be pronounced? "Just" I pronounce like "just", except when I emphasize it in which case I pronounce it with the CUT vowel.