Do Modern English speakers understand this?

Super Korean   Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:28 pm GMT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0MtENfOMU

It's a reading of the "Canterbury Tales" prologue in Middle English and I was wondering to what extent is this intelligilble to the modern English speakers.

Is it like a completely-foreign language to you or can you at least grap some meanings?
K. T.   Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:30 pm GMT
Sure, we can understand some of it.
CID   Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:32 pm GMT
We can grasp at least some of it.

When coupled with the actual written text in Middle English the intelligibility goes up immensely

Hearing it read aloud it sounds no more fremmit than any Scottish or Northern English dialect
Lazar   Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:04 am GMT
I can comprehend it to some partial extent from the actual Middle English text, less so from the video you posted (which couples a Middle English reading with faux-netic text), and not very well at all if I only listen to the audio.
upstater   Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:12 am GMT
As everyone said, it's partly intelligible. One problem here is that this the start of the General Prologue, which is quite famous. Perhaps intelligibility would go down if this were a random selection.

However, its a whole lot more intelligible than the YouTube clip of the Scottish English accent that was posted here a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v1jmVvF4gM
American   Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:02 am GMT
Later Middle English texts are easier to understand.
Damian London E14   Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:05 am GMT
Our Scottish accent is MEANT to confuse, bewilder and obfuscate anyone not lucky enough to be born and bred in Caledonia...so there!

It most probably is more difficult for non-Scots to comprehend than is the Language of Geoffrey Chaucer but that's the whole idea.....why on earth would we want the Sassenachs to understand all our jibes and barbed comments anyway? ;-)

The Language of Chaucer...of the period when the English Language we know and passionately love today was gradually emerging from the "dark" days of Middle Ages England....when all those devotedly devout pilgrims wearily but cheerily plodded their long and windy way along what is now called The Pilgrims Way* in what was then an extremely devout Roman Catholic country.....England.......the Pilgrims Way which is still very much in existence today for much of its length, much as it was in those far off days of yore as it runs all along the South Downs and over the Kentish Weald - from the cathedral city of Winchester to the spectacular cathedral city of Canterbury and the shrine of St Augustine, England's first saint, so to speak.

Listening to Old and Middle English being spoken in this way really does bring to mind the style of speech of modern day Scandinavia and even North German - very strong influences in the development of English in the early days of our country and our people of the period, the period of Chaucer himself, considered to be "England's first poet" which is not strictly true......there is also his contemporary William Langland to consider, who actually came from the gorgeous small town in Herefordshire, England, where my maternal grandparents now live....Ledbury.

While I was at uni I and my peers went to see Prunella Scales perform as The Wife of Bath (from the Canterbury Tales), but unfortunately we didn't rate her performance very highly...she seemed not to have rehearsed it adequately which was puzzling but there you go. Prunella Scales is best known to many people for playing rhe part of the domineering scourge of Basil's life.... Sybil Fawlty, or as the oleaginously scheming Elizabeth Mapp, from E F Benson's Mapp and Lucia series.

Anyway, he is the Prologue from the Canterbury Tales.....in rap style! Well, why not? ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc8XPv_qstA

There is a very old British film (in black and white of course) called "A Canterbury Tale" - made in 1944, and relates the story of a group of pilgrims in WW2 England - filmed entirely in the countryside of Kent, in and around the city of Canterbury....showing the magnificent cathedral still standing proudly above the wholesale devastation caused by German bombing raids, the cathedral, like St Paul's Cathedral in London, miraculously escaping serious damage while all around was laid waste...this is so clearly shown in the film. An old lady passerby in the film pointed in the direction of the Cathedral and said to one of the pilgrims, a young land girl: "It is a shame to see it looking so forlorn and isolated now in the middle of all this mess, but at least it's still standing which is a blessing!"
The film actually opens up with the famous Prologue, in Middle English, and showing a group of 14th century pilgrims making their way along the old Pilgrims' Way, which, incidentally, is now a journey many modern day 21st century pilgrims only they are mostly walkers and ramblers out on healthy outdoor pursuits! The Pilgrim's Way is now protected by English Heritage and the English Countryside Commission.

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/438020/
Rick Johnson   Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:46 am GMT
I suspect that this is probably the equivalent of writing a modern dialect phonetically and then getting someone unfamiliar to read it back - it would become quite unintelligible.

Here's an example of what sounds like non-geordies trying to pull off a north east accent from a script:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcnN8-sJ8Hk
.   Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:24 pm GMT
Super Korean,
In age of Middle English didn't exist recorder, this is in theory the accent most near (Northern England dialect).