What does psychology study?

Tim   Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:23 am GMT
On another forum, two native English speakers insisted that the questions shown below were incorrect English. Please tell me why, if the affirmative forms (answers) shown are allowed, the question form is not allowed.

?
What does solid state physics study?
What does quantum mechanics study?

-Psychology studies the relationship between environments and human behaviour.
-Psychology studies the human psyche, behavior, and mental processes. This diverse field has roots in biology, medicine, philosophy, religion, and history. ...
-Solid state physics studies the processes taking place on surfaces and semi-conductors. -
-Theoretical physics above all examines the theory of quantum fields, gravitation and quantum information.
-Quantum mechanics studies the behavior of atoms and the particles that make them up.
Guest   Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:44 am GMT
It could be that physicists study solid state physics and quantum mechanics, so the questions might be worded: "What is the study of solid state physics? What is the study of quantum mechanics?"

It follows that the first bulleted sentence might be worded:
"- Psychology is the study of the relationship between environments and human behaviour. ",
and all the other sentences should be formulated around "...the study of..." to be considered correct. I don't see the big deal, though.
Guest   Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:52 am GMT
Me neither.