English spelling reform for non-native speakers

Kasa   Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:56 am GMT
I think it's urgent to reform English to an new English which is phonetical like German or Spanish and this new English should be learnt by non-native speakers. They surely will reduce time to learn how to spell like what native speakers have done...

Gradually all non-native speakers of English learn this new English and later native speakers will accept it....

haha.. it's a good idea!

Aj shuld lern this nyu Inglish/I should learn this new English
jopp   Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:58 am GMT
I totally agree with u...

One language, two writing forms(Conservative English and Reformed English)
Caspian   Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:14 am GMT
Um - no. Part of the charm of the English language lies in the spelling. If people want to butcher a language, then feel free to do it to your own, but leave English alone, you don't own it.
gom   Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:51 am GMT
<<but leave English alone, you don't own it. >>

Nor do you, nor do you.
Guest   Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:52 am GMT
Um, yes we own English. The moment you guys decided to sail to India (and the rest of the world) and steal their resources, we got the right to butcher your language. Your no longer the boss of English.
www   Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:29 pm GMT
Ai egri!
reformer   Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:17 pm GMT
Spelling reform is already taking place before our eyes. Consider internetspeak, chatspeak, lolspweak, texting language, etc.

Classic example:

"c u l8r"

We just need to get this stuff all standardized, so everyone can learn it, and not stumble through it because of unfamiliar abbreviations.
Caspian   Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:40 pm GMT
<< Your no longer the boss of English. >>

I never claimed to be. I am, however, claiming that you are not. You can't even spell a simple, everyday word like "you're". Or is it trendy not to be able to spell?

<< We just need to get this stuff all standardized, so everyone can learn it, and not stumble through it because of unfamiliar abbreviations. >>

lol dats nvr gna hapn m8. It's inefficient, clumsy and lower class. If you got a bank statement written like this, would you think 'Ah, at last, the bank's caught up with the times', or would you immediately terminate your contract with the bank?

d mny dat u hav rcvd dis mnth is nw avalbe in ur acnt, init.
Guest   Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:47 pm GMT
I meant 'The British are no longer the boss of English', not you Caspian.
gary   Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:11 pm GMT
<<Part of the charm of the English language lies in the spelling.>>

yes but people don't learn "English language" for his charm but by necessity. It's a big difference. So, if they can make the language easy, they will do it.
badshooter   Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:40 pm GMT
<<It's inefficient, clumsy and lower class.>>

Why is it inefficient?

I don't think it's lower class -- a lot of those video gamers that type this way are a lot better off than I am. Think of all those the high-end gaming rigs with three of four $700 video cards strapped together to improve the frame rates. Hard core gamers are smarter and more clever than I am, too. I never could get the hang of a free shoot-em-up video game that came with my modest $200 graphics card. I kept getting shot and killed during the first or second tutorial mission. I had to give up.
Guest   Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:08 pm GMT
'Lower class' doesn't imply that you're poor, it means that you're not noble. You can't buy class and you don't lose it if you're broke. You Yanks don't get it at all.
badshooter   Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:37 pm GMT
<<it means that you're not noble.>>

Perhaps in Europe (and elsewhere) "upper class" means that you're a member of the nobility, Royal Family, high Caste, etc. Over here, "upper class" usually equates to being rich or wealthy, with several mansions or compounds, yachts, private helicopters and aricraft, limousines, etc. "Middle class" are just ordinary folks who own a house or two, a car or two, and aren't rich or poor. The "lower class" usually equates to those living in poverty.
indo   Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:13 pm GMT
Do you think Americans would be more willing to undergo a spelling reform than the Brits? They seem to be a lot more practical and forward thinking, whereas the Brits seem to want to go back to the 19th century.
Justice   Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:59 am GMT
In 20th century, have u guys ever seen that English speakers themselves or even their officials working for government does English spelling reform work? No. But we see French government has done for French spelling reform like "ile", etc?