Meaning of "Just one thing after another"

scrat_ali   Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:05 pm GMT
Hello guys.
I was wondering: what is the meaning of the phrase "Just one thing after another"?
Thanks in advance.
umm   Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:17 pm GMT
Like if you're having a bad day or something and it seems like everything is just going wrong for you, it's just like "one thing after another."
Damian London E14   Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:50 pm GMT
Rudge used this very same expression as his definition of the meaning of History in the stage play/film of Alan Bennett's award winning production "The History Boys", set in a sixth form college in Sheffield, England.

This YT clip has unfortunately had some of the dialogue surgically altered in an effort to avoid causing offence to poor sensitive souls - the opening scene has Hector (the 'errant' schoolmaster) asking the blunt speaking Rudge for his interpretation of History. In this tampered clip Rudge replies: "History? It's just one "bloody" thing after another". What Bennett intended him to say, and what both the stage productions* as well as the film had him saying was: "History? It's one fucking thing after another!"

The meaning of the expression - well, it means just what it says - history is a mere record of the actions of human beings over time and its consequences so, like life itself, it really is just one fucking thing after another, whether good or bad.

*All the UK productions that is....whether at the National Theatre on London's South Bank or on its several UK national tours. It did have a successful run on Broadway in New York as well, with the full original British cast (as in the film, too) and as far as I'm aware the original Rudge format was retained for the American audiences who seemingly were not at all "offended" by what people coyly refer to as the F-Word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45OsKkHhv90
Damian London E14   Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:54 pm GMT
Ooops...a minor slip up on my part...it was in fact the female teacher Mrs Lintott who put the question to Rudge, not Hector.
Damian London E14   Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:58 pm GMT
A significant observation....this trailer clip for the film The History Boys had obviously been "doctored" by the Motion Picture Association of America for showing to the wider public.......I think that pretty much explains it.