What is the most studied language in Europe after English?

yoko   Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:54 pm GMT
Are there any statistics? You can list your personal observations as well, in the form of "In [your country name], the 3 most studied languages are ____, ______ and _____."
tarikur   Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:14 pm GMT
French, German and Spanish
Commonaswhole   Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:51 pm GMT
I think it's either French or German. I think German slightly more than French, even though the education for German in Flanders kind of sucks.
guillaume   Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:01 pm GMT
From wikipedia:

<<14% of Europeans indicate that they know either French or German along with their mother tongue. French is most commonly studied and used in Southern Europe, especially in Mediterranean countries, in Germany, Romania, the UK and Ireland while German is commonly studied and used in the Benelux countries, in Scandinavia and in the newer EU member states. Spanish is most commonly studied in France, Italy, Luxembourg and Portugal. In 19 out of 29 countries polled, English is the most widely known language apart from the mother tongue, this being particularly the case in Sweden (89%), Malta (an ex-British colony that is also part of the Commonwealth of Nations as well) (88%), the Netherlands (87%), and Denmark (86%), while German and French is so in three countries. >>

I think it's great when European learn 2 or 3 european languages, it's a real richness. And Europe is a great continent for "language lover". I myself speak french my mother tongue, know english and german, and I'm learning spanish and maybe italian.
guest guest   Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:43 pm GMT
I think in France it is:

1. English
2. Spanish
3. German
4. Italian
Commonaswhole   Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:22 pm GMT
In Flanders it is:

1. English
2. French
3. German
4. Spanish

Officially we learn French as our second language, but in practice people speak English better. It (French) is an official language of our country after all.
matko   Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:36 pm GMT
In Croatia:

English, then

1. German
2. Italian
3. French
4. Spanish
5. Hungarian (only in regions where Hungarians live)