TomOHrrow or TomAHrrow

yesterday   Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:16 pm GMT
Which is the correct pronunciation of "tomorrow"?
Kess   Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:39 pm GMT
Longman Dictionary of American English gives both as correct, giving preference to the /A/ form (listed 1st).

Longman Pronunciation Dictionary (by JC Wells) gives preference to the /Q/ form: tom/Q/rrow [uk] // tom/Q/rrow [us], tom/A/rrow [us].

Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary has /Q/ as the only US form.

Conclusions:

1. while /A/ may be more frequent in American English, /Q/ is still an accepted variant in General American [unlike /A/range or h/A/rrible]

2. I've heard many Californians/Westerners using /Q/ in ''sorry'' and ''tomorrow'', I guess both are used interchangeably in cot/caught merged American accents of the West and in Vermont.

3. Canadians prefer /Q/, but I've heard some Canadians pronouncing it with the unrounded vowel /A/ [so it may be free choice just like in D/A/llar ~ D/Q/llar]

I wouldn't tag rounded pronunciations of stressed vowels in words like DOLLAR, DOLL or TOMORROW as exclusive Canadianisms, some Americans use /Q/ in these words, and some Canadians have /A/ there...

Pick whichever you like.
Kisses
A Brit   Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:23 pm GMT
I love that bit in Annie when she sings about the "two marrow"s. TomOHrrow is the one for me.

Then there's that other song, You like potato and I like potahto, You like tomato and I like tomahto. I'm British and I say po-tay-toe and to-mah-to. So let's call the sh*t song off.
Uriel   Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:54 am GMT
I say tomAHrrow. There's no absolute right or wrong, but depending on your accent, one sounds right and the other doesn't.
c   Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:07 pm GMT
Don't some people pronounce it with [O]-- the NORTH vowel?

North [nOr\T]
Tomorrow [t_hVmOr\oU]
Sorry [sOr\I]

I can hear a clear difference between [A], [Q], and [O] in sorry.
Lo   Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:35 am GMT
I was born and raised in New York City and the standard there is using the [A] vowel.
I, however, tend to use [Q] or [O]. I say [sQr\i] for sorry, [t@mOr\oU] for tomorrow, [dAl@'] for dollar but [dQ5] for doll.
The dollar/doll thing is consistent with CVS, as I lived in California during my teen years. It's common in California to hear [r\QN] for wrong but [r\AN@'] for wronger; remember that [A] tends to shift toward [Q] before [l] and [N] but it remains [A] when added suffixes such as -er.
LexDiamondz   Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:50 pm GMT
Well, I'm from NYC and here we tend to say "tamAHrrah"or "tamAHrrow" rather than TomOHrrow
Kelly   Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:54 pm GMT
It's common in California to hear [r\QN] for wrong but [r\AN@'] for wronger; remember that [A] tends to shift toward [Q] before [l] and [N] but it remains [A] when added suffixes such as -er.
//

Yup, [Q] in call, but [A] in caller, or calling...
I guess L is darker at the end of the word, causing more round(ed)ness...
Nevertheless, the traditional Californian speech (used by older males) still has [A] in BALD and [Q] (monothong) in BOLD...Sometimes it's difficult to understand... [kQl] call ~ Cole, [bQl] ball ~ bowl

Learnerdictionary.com has [A] in call, ball, and [oU] in ''Cole, Bowl''
Surfer's dude Californian has [Q] in call, ball and [@U] in ''Cole, Bowl''
young girls from California are more likely to use [A] with L: tall, call,
young boys round it more frequently (the same thing is observed in Vancouver English, I don't know why)...

I don't know why...young Cali girls are more likely to use /Q/ with -t and -m [mQm, lQt] but /A/ with -l [dAl, tAl, kAl]...
Kelly   Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:59 pm GMT
[r\AN@'] for wronger

I believe g is pronounced in ''wronger''
p   Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:45 pm GMT
I've never used the word "wronger" in my life, but if I did, I would pronounce it with the velar nasal and no /g/.
p   Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:25 am GMT
I've never used the word "wronger" in my life, but if I did, I would pronounce it with the velar nasal and no /g/.
Trimac20   Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:44 pm GMT
'wronger?' haha, i've never even heard that in bad speech or slang, maybe it's an American-only thing?
Rapp   Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:37 pm GMT
I'm from the US South, and I use the dollar/doll sound.

And I've never heard anything more wrong than "wronger". But if you're going to say it, pronounce the g.
a more original name.   Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:23 am GMT
In my Idiolect:

NORTH, TOMORROW, BORROW, and SORROW share the same vowel [O].

THOUGHT, CALL, CALLER, BALL, TALL, TALK, CHALK, CLOTH, SONG and WRONG share the same vowel [Q].

MOM, COT, LOT, FATHER, WASH, WARM, PALM, and CALM share the same vowel [a].

Wronger? I would not be caught [kQt] dead using this "word".
Kendra   Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:50 pm GMT
In my Idiolect:
//

You must be from Inland North,

don't you find it a bit awkward/weird to have [Q] in ''long song'' but [a] in ''Hong Kong'', [Q] in call, but [a] in doll?