How do Americans pronounce these 3 words?

Travis   Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:31 am GMT
>>What, exactly, was unclear about my post? And why are you the one sighing, when I'm the one who's being ignored? Your tone is somewhat rude. For the purpose of pronunciation, "jewellery" and "jewelry" are different. What spelling a person is presented with will almost certainly affect their pronunciation. British people, presumably, are used to "jewellery" being pronounced as if there is no "e" between the "l" and "r", and thus would be likely to pronounce it that way. Americans would be more likely to pronounce it the way it's spelled, because in America, "jewellery" is not a word, and thus does not have any pronounciation other than a phonetic sounding out of the letters. If Phonologist wantsd to know how Americans pronounce the word "jewelry", he should ask that. If he wants to know how Americans pronounce the string of letters "jewellery", he should ask that. Those are different questions. They may often have the same answer, but they won't always. I mean, if someone asked you how you pronounce "definate", wouldn't you be even the slightest bit unsure as to whether you should assume that they mean "How do you pronounce 'definite'?" or whether they actually want you to say how you would pronounce "definate"?<<

You make the mistake of thinking that the actual spellings of words in English actually matters in the first place here. In English at least, words' spellings are better treated as just visual "names" for words that happen to incorporate rough cues as to pronunciation than actually directly specifiying actual pronunciation at all.
Rene   Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:59 pm GMT
Jewel-ree
new-clee-er
kwa-zee

California
Uriel   Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:10 am GMT
Jool-ree
Noo-clee-er
kwah-zee

New Mexico, but I've lived all over. I think it's more personal preference or what you grew up with than strictly regional, too.
Gina   Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:41 am GMT
Jewl-ree
New-cle-er
Kwa-zee

Ohio
"Guest",&quo   Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:01 am GMT
Perhaps a different selection of words could reveal the different accents in American culture. I know some people from New York City prenounce the R-suffix as ah or uh. People from Wisconsin and Michigan usually sound like they are from Eastern Canada. We all know what a southern accent sounds like.
Shaun   Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:26 pm GMT
Jewl-ree
New-clear
Kwa-zigh or Kwa-zee depending on the mood

Michigan, USA
Heather   Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:18 am GMT
I'm from Pennsylvania and I would pronounce them as Jewel-ry, nuklier, and kwa-zi.