everything/anything

MollyB   Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:19 am GMT
Would you recommend using "anything" over "everything" here, and if so, why?

"In achieving all this, Obregon has had capable coadjutators. First of all there is Huerta, the finance minister who arranged with Thomas W. Lament of J. P. Morgan &; Co. for the refunding of the Mexican debt. Descended from Yaqui Indians, Spaniards and Polish Jews, Huerta is everything but a soldier."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,846011,00.html

'Her official job description -- " to conduct site visits of federally funded projects and to check compliance with regulatory and statutory guidelines and provide technical assistance " -- is all eyeshades and fine print. But to listen to Carlos, the job is everything but.'

Author:Heilemann, J.
Bates, A.Source:Washington Monthly
Another Guest   Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:22 pm GMT
In the second quote, "everything but" suggests that his job included everything except for what was in his job description. "anything but" suggests that of all possible job description, his actual job description was the least accurate; any other job description would have been more accurate. Presumably, the latter more accurately describes the situation.

In the first quote, if Huerta is indeed lots of things other than a soldier, then "everything but" is appropriate. But if the writer is simply suggesting that "soldier" is not an accurate term, then it should be "anything but". Also, it should be "coadjutors", or "co-adjutors".

BTW, "everything but/anything" but would be an even more informative title.
Damian London SW15   Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:40 pm GMT
I'd do anything for you, dear - anything....
For you mean everything to me...
I know that....
I'd go anywhere for your smile - anywhere.....
For your smile
Everywhere I see....
Would you climb a hill?
Anything!
Wear a daffodill?
Anything!
Leave me all your will?
Anything!
Fight my Bill?
Anything!!!!

Charles Dicken's mid 19th century novel "Oliver Twist" as seen in an old film musical based on a highly successful London West End stage musical starring Oliver Reed (Bill Sykes); Shani Wallis (Nancy); Jack Wild (The Artful Dodger) and Mark Lester (Oliver).

Anything - everything - anywhere - everywhere.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8qNnmRmGQU