Holding Back

Eddy   Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:09 am GMT
Linguists, language experts and language learners often advise others about their language learning methods. For example, the advice that is provided on this site for learning English. Despite this apparent genoristy, it appears that many of these experts/gurus keep their very very best language learning methods to themselves. In other words, they are "Holding Back" their most treasured language learning secrets. Do you have any such suspions about any expert/guru or have any such information on this without revealing the actual language learning secrets?
get real bro   Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:46 am GMT
There are no such 'secrets'. There may be tips and pointers, but I think you are really overestimating human ability. There's nothing you could possibly do to yourself that would make you learn a language in a week, it's just impossible. Using good methods is important in the long run, but seriously it isn't rocket science. If it looks like rocket science to you then maybe you should be doing something else. The mention of 'most treasured language learning secrets' makes me laugh, as though there is a magical incantation somewhere that increases your IQ by 100%. All you have to do is say it and voila, done deal.

This reminds me of people who believe in conspiracy theories. They seriously overestimate what humans are capable of. Like that Knights Templar are secretly ruling the world from the shadows. Nah sorry, people are just too incompetent for that kind of thing.
K. T.   Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:18 pm GMT
Yes, I think there are secrets-but they are open secrets. I think people who speak several languages may have several methods. The other thing is that it gets much easier to learn languages after you have learned three or four languages.

Here are some of my secrets:

Study or listen every day. You can take off one day a week. Even ten minutes is useful for study. Or three.

Listen a lot. Listen a lot.

Find fun materials or at least materials you will use. Ask here about materials (at Antimoon) if you need suggestions or check out Alexander Arguelles and his learning materials review on Youtube.

It's mostly NOT GIVING UP when you get to something "hard" in a language.