Does this make sense?

Desperate non-native   Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:47 pm GMT
Dear native speakers of English,

I would like to say something like:
"When is the fastest next available time?"
"What time is the earliest next available for you?"

I know those sentences above do not make much sense.
Could you suggest me better sentences that make more sense?

Please with a cherry on top!
Leasnam   Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:27 pm GMT
The second one hits it pretty near on the head:

but I would merge both a little into:

"When is the next earliest available time for you?"
Rapp   Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 pm GMT
These all seem a little redundant to me.

It sounds like you're trying to schedule an appointment. If so, the next available time for the appointment would necessarily be the earliest or fastest one, so I would just say:

"When is the next available time?"
Another Guest   Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:37 pm GMT
Have you heard the word "superlative"? It refers to a word that indicates that something has the most of some attribute. For instance, "earliest" means "that which has the most of the attribute 'early' ". They usually end in "est", but occasionally they take other forms. The word "next" doesn't quite follow this pattern of ending in "est", but it is a superlative anyway. Once you put a superlative in front of a noun, that noun becomes unique (the concept of superlative assumes that there is one thing with more of the attribute than anything else). Therefore, one cannot add any further restrictions once one has specified a superlative. In particular, it doesn't really make sense to ask for something with more than one superlative. You can say "next available time" or "earliest available time", but not "earliest next available time". "Next" is better than "earlier", since the latter might be interpreted as "having the earliest time of day". That is, there is an ambiguity between 9 AM Monday and 8 AM Tuesday as to which is earlier. "Fastest" isn't good at all, since that refers to how much speed something has, not when it arrives, and times do not have speeds. Asking "What's the fastest next available time?" will simply confuse people, but if you ask something like "What's the fastest train?", you'll get the name of the train with the greatest speed, not the name of the next one to arrive.