Skirting Board

Brian the magnificent   Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:07 pm GMT
Do Americans have "skirting boards" in their homes? Is it called something else over there?
Another Guest   Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:18 pm GMT
The first Google result for "skirting board" is the wikipedia article on baseboards. Which raises several questions. Did it not occur to your to search Google? Did you just take it for granted that Americans would know what a "skirting board" is, even if it is called something different in America?
Brian the magnificent   Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:19 pm GMT
To answer our questions, Yes I looked on Google and found a link to baseboards too. I don't remember the articles stating that baseboard is the generally accepted term in the US for the objects known in the UK as skirting boards. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the articles.

I didn't take it for granted that Americans would know what "skirting boards" are. I assumed that if people in America had skirting boards in their homes they would say "yes we generally have skirting boards in our homes". If they don't normally have skirting boards in their houses they could say "no we don't usually have skirting boards in our homes". If they dont know what the heck a skirting board is they could say "what the heck is a skirting board?" or look the term up on google, find the link to baseboards and say "we do have those boards but we always call them baseboards". I did-perhaps wrongly- assume someone in America could be arsed to reply. I'm guessing "Another Guest" is British and thinks Americans can't use Google like he can.

So, for "Another Guest"'s benefit, "skirting boards" in the UK are pieces of wood pinned or stuck to the base of an interior wall.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.