10 defects of Chinese simplified characters

Little Tadpole   Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:17 am GMT
The West still does not understand China. They still operate and interfere with China as if it is just like an Eastern European country. Big mistake.

China learns not by lectures. China learns by committing mistakes, on its own.

As I said, those 30 million dead bodies from the Great Leap Forward did not die in vain.

Instead of promoting "universal values", "human rights" with China, the West has to think deep and hard why their strategy is not working in China. The absolute majority of Chinese citizens support the Chinese government's actions on Liu Xiaobo and crackdowns in regions like Xinjiang and Tibet.

The U.S. preoccupation with China is a waste of time. Instead, its energy is better spent with Australia and India, which share the same language and societal values. Australia and India fall in line, then Russia will come next on its own will. Let the Chinese do whatever they want to do and don't meddle in their internal affairs. The Chinese will wake up 30 years later and find themselves rich but alone within their Asian sphere of influence. Then, and only then, will the Chinese learn they've erred.

As I said, the Chinese don't learn through lectures. They learn by committing mistakes. The sooner you make them make mistakes, the sooner they will learn. And the world will become a better place.

We are all offsprings of the same fish. But it will take the Chinese another 30 years to learn this fact. Until then, I suggest focusing on India and Australia. You will find that once U.S. shifts its focus to these two places, very soon the world will become a better place, for everybody.
Big Frog   Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:52 am GMT
Little Tadpole, I'm worried about you. Your morbid obsession with this deep intense hatred towards China and Mandarin is obviously ruining you. What on earth happened to you and how on earth did you end up being so mercilessly tortured by such deep-seated inferiority complex......You need to consult a shrink about your inferiority complex......
Shuimo   Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:24 am GMT
Big Frog Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:52 am GMT
Little Tadpole, I'm worried about you. Your morbid obsession with this deep intense hatred towards China and Mandarin is obviously ruining you. What on earth happened to you and how on earth did you end up being so mercilessly tortured by such deep-seated inferiority complex......You need to consult a shrink about your inferiority complex......

----------------

Little Tadpole seems to Shuimo a perfect footnote to the type of much stigmatized figures to Chinese eyes: Yang Nu, who uncontrollably falls head over heels of westerners!

Such spineless sort of people represent the worst element of Chinese culture! Household servants won't go far anywhere!
Shuimo   Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:28 am GMT
Little Tadpole Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:17 am GMT
The West still does not understand China. They still operate and interfere with China as if it is just like an Eastern European country. Big mistake.

China learns not by lectures. China learns by committing mistakes, on its own.

As I said, those 30 million dead bodies from the Great Leap Forward did not die in vain.

Instead of promoting "universal values", "human rights" with China, the West has to think deep and hard why their strategy is not working in China. The absolute majority of Chinese citizens support the Chinese government's actions on Liu Xiaobo and crackdowns in regions like Xinjiang and Tibet.

The U.S. preoccupation with China is a waste of time. Instead, its energy is better spent with Australia and India, which share the same language and societal values. Australia and India fall in line, then Russia will come next on its own will. Let the Chinese do whatever they want to do and don't meddle in their internal affairs. The Chinese will wake up 30 years later and find themselves rich but alone within their Asian sphere of influence. Then, and only then, will the Chinese learn they've erred.

As I said, the Chinese don't learn through lectures. They learn by committing mistakes. The sooner you make them make mistakes, the sooner they will learn. And the world will become a better place.

We are all offsprings of the same fish. But it will take the Chinese another 30 years to learn this fact. Until then, I suggest focusing on India and Australia. You will find that once U.S. shifts its focus to these two places, very soon the world will become a better place, for everybody.

----------------------------------
Little Tadpole, why are you so curelessly concerned with how West should do this or do that with China?

Shuimo wud much like to see how you wud say China should do with US and the West!
Big Frog   Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:16 am GMT
唉!奴才心态和极端与不合理的仇视心态都是病态的自卑感所反映的丑陋面......
唉!怎么看,这都不像是一个鼓吹用爱心去感化人的人所该拥有的心态....
唉!好自为之啊......
Shuimo   Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:44 pm GMT
Big Frog Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:16 am GMT
唉!奴才心态和极端与不合理的仇视心态都是病态的自卑感所反映的丑陋面......
唉!怎么看,这都不像是一个鼓吹用爱心去感化人的人所该拥有的心态....
唉!好自为之啊......
----------------------

Do you mean you can claim to have sound mentality only if you turn yr other cheek when western imperialism slaps you, Big Frog ?
Little Tadpole   Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:55 pm GMT
Shuimo: "Little Tadpole seems to Shuimo a perfect footnote to the type of much stigmatized figures to Chinese eyes: Yang Nu, who uncontrollably falls head over heels of westerners!

Such spineless sort of people represent the worst element of Chinese culture! Household servants won't go far anywhere!"

Please talk to your dear Premier of China, President of China and the President of Taiwan.

All three of them happen to have their daughters living in the U.S.A.

As I said, people vote with their feet. Just like the Afrikaners in South Africa. You can't blame them.

It's the FenQing generation that is being used and manipulated. Chinese leaders preach one thing to their own people, but when it comes to their own children, they know what's best.

For too much wanting to be Chinese, FenQing forget to be human beings. When they wake up 30 years later, they will realize that they've been used, like puppets.

It's not East vs West thing. It's what's right vs what's wrong. It's about being human and being humane. It's about caring for people. When you care about people, you teach them the best. Sometimes, the best way of teaching children is to let the them go through mistakes, on their own.

You FenQing generation cares only about the Chinese. I have other people to care for. During Sichuan earthquake, I donated money to help the Chinese. But I did not forget those cyclone victims in Burma/Myanmar, because they are my fellow human beings, too. May I ask you guys: what did you do?
Clarence   Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:25 am GMT
> Edinburgh Medic

書面語在語言學的定義:

書面語是人們在書寫和閱讀文章時所使用的語言。它是在口語的基礎上發展來的,是在文字產生之後才出現的。並不是所有的 “民族/族群” 都有書面語,因此也只有識字的人才認識書面語。

在空間跨度上,儘管各地 “方言/語言” 迥異,口語大不相同,但卻可以使用相同的書面語言。例如:古代中國的文言文在南方、北方的使用,及在日本、韓國、越南、等東亞國家的使用。

書面語可以隨着文字的傳播,會將一種語言向 “其他語言” 地區擴散,使 “其他語言” 範圍內 “受教育的人” 被另一種書面語影響,而將這種書面語的成分帶入口語,影響當地口語的變化,使各種不同語言加快互相融合的速度和範圍。

書面語在中國的定義:

在中國來講,書面語就是基於 “北方話” (即普通話/國語)的 “白話文” (現在又叫 “現代標準漢語”)。

但是,在1920年以前,中國的書面語是 “文言文” (Literary Chinese)。

書面語 = 白話文 = 現代標準漢語 (Written Mandarin)
Little Tadpole   Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:05 pm GMT
For people that would like to understand more about the FenQing generation, please visit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenqing
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%84%A4%E9%9D%92

These people never once cared about people of a different nationality, or a different skin color, or people of other/any religion.

Fenqing of course is a transient phenomenon. When these people get older they often become embarrassed by their previous stands, and have lots of explaining to do with their children and grandchildren, especially when their offsprings are foreign-born, foreign-married (e.g. to a Japanese or to an American,) or foreign-dwelling.

源流

愤青是时代的产物,当代愤青其起源和中华人民共和国政府强化的民族主义政策有很大关系。由于中国大陆经济的发展,以及通讯手段的进步和互联网广泛使用,使中国大陆有更多人可参与到对历史问题和国际局势相关问题的讨论中,这就为愤青这一群体的产生和生长提供相应物质基础。也有人认为,20世纪末以来中国大陆媒体对西方国家的宣传也起到了助推之用。
愤青的人员构成,在教育程度上,多数为受教育程度较低的青年,也包括少数在校大学生、中学生为,其绝大多数是年轻的网民。事实上,亦有一部分较高文化层次人士持有与上述定义的“愤青”类似的社会观点,他们有时也自视为“愤青”,其言论常常被愤青引以为理论依据。
对于中国大陆当代的年轻人来说,其上一至两代人的经历,对这一代人的世界观和价值观也产生了深刻的影响,譬如,对于中国抗日战争、中美关系、文革、中国大陆的社会经济变迁等等问题的看法和观点;同时,由于这一代人的思想较之在中国困苦岁月中成长的一代来说,更加的独立和反叛,他们并不完全相信由媒体,官方,以及从教育系统获得的观点,比如说对日关系,中国大陆的教科书中往往主张中日友好,并且缓和某些关于历史问题的分歧,但是这一代人,往往愿意以非官方的视角和材料中获得对相关事态的看法,比如说来自周围长辈的经历,或者互联网,或者其他的历史材料,甚至线上谣言,从而形成了对中日关系自己的观点,这也构成了愤青产生的内在原因。
另一方面,愤青观点的来源,并非全然来自政府的爱国主义教育,却也受到政府信息政策的重要影响。由于相当多的海外信息来源,包括历史观、时事报道等等无法正常在中国流通,愤青的信息接受面往往受到很大局限,导致部分人无法发展正常的、全面的判断是非曲直的能力,这些人容易以讹传讹,并受到各种貌似主流,其实是扭曲偏差的激烈言论、虚构消息所左右,造成越趋激烈、自我强化的怪圈。事实上,此类愤青只能做到表达自己强烈的观点,然而自身素质的限制,使得其无法也不愿找出充分的论据来论证自己的观点。当无法从理论上辩倒对手的时候往往会强词夺理,更多时候以粗言相向。
但同样是上述原因,也有一部分人获取被中国官方封锁或刻意淡化的信息后,对于其中观点不加鉴别地全盘接受,这种情况使得他们的观点走向与之前定义中的愤青完全相反的另一个极端:如激烈反共、极端亲美等。这些人往往被冠以“右愤”之名。
总的说来,中国大陆愤青产生的社会根源是以中国式的民族主义,中国大陆的经济发展,中国政府强力钳制真相传播与言论自由﹐台湾、日本和美国等地的各方面活动,以及当代通讯技术进步等多方面形成的。
CenSin   Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:55 pm GMT
I've read some arguments in depth and glanced over a few. It seems that there are a lot of people for simplification of Chinese characters and even some extremists proposing outright disuse of the logographic system in favor of a foreign one (Latin-based).

As a conservative with respect to tradition, I think killing the traditional script has an overall negative effect:
* Traditional Chinese and even simplified Chinese are an integral part of Chinese identity. Taking it away would be cultural upheaval. What Chinese would be proud to admit some religious organization half way around the world gave them a set of different tools to read and write. That's cultural imperialism, and frankly almost all of the Chinese people I speak with talk about their culture with pride.
* Chinese also has so much in common with Korean (when using hanja with hangeul), Japanese, and Vietnamese (before quoc ngu), making it a unifying script a là Latin. Giving a different script to each language only cuts those ties. I'm Chinese, but I'm not very fluent in the script, but my cousins were able to understand all the signs in Japan during a trip; they would not have if Japanese was strictly written with romanji or kana.
Lincoln   Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:31 pm GMT
Little Tadpole and CenSin,

官方的信息政策产生愤青和右愤:
总的说来,"愤青" 和 “右愤” 产生的社会根源是因为官方限制 "信息传播自由";
1. 言论自由,2. 通讯自由,3. 出版自由。
Shuimo   Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:10 am GMT
<<Little Tadpole Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:55 pm GMT

Please talk to your dear Premier of China, President of China and the President of Taiwan.
All three of them happen to have their daughters living in the U.S.A. <<

Are you jealousy of them, Little Tadpole?
Personally I have no strong feelings about their children staying abroad! Their children also have the right to choose places to live, if they can! But then many many ordinary Chinese families' children also have opportunities to either study or live in Western countries!

BTW, one of Shuimo's close friends is in Japan for further studies upon his graduation in Beijing! As far as I know, his family is of no special background; he got the opportunity to study in Japan all by his own outstanding efforts in academic studies!The point is that in present-day China, you don't have to be the child of Hu or Wen to land yrself nice cakes!

>>As I said, people vote with their feet. Just like the Afrikaners in South Africa. You can't blame them. <<

Nothing surprising! People all would like to have a better life in economically developed places!

But for a country this big like China, is it possible for all of us ordinary folks to immigrate to developed countries?
Little Tadpole   Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:25 pm GMT
Shuimo: "Are you jealousy of them, Little Tadpole?"

Why would I be jealous of people coming to live where I live? It does not make sense.

"... is it possible for all of us ordinary folks to immigrate to developed countries?"

The question should be "how can China attract top talents from the rest of the world?"
Shuimo   Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:01 pm GMT
Little Tadpole Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:25 pm GMT
Shuimo: "Are you jealousy of them, Little Tadpole?"

Why would I be jealous of people coming to live where I live? It does not make sense.

"... is it possible for all of us ordinary folks to immigrate to developed countries?"

The question should be "how can China attract top talents from the rest of the world?"
----------------------------------

Oh, China is already on its steady way to do that!

Don't you see umpteen foreigners flocking to Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou to seek better life year by year?
Samson   Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:06 pm GMT
> CenSin Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:55 pm GMT
* Chinese also has so much in common with Korean (when using hanja with hangeul), Japanese, and Vietnamese (before quoc ngu), making it a unifying script a là Latin. Giving a different script to each language only cuts those ties. <

While past two thousand years, the Korean, Japanese, and Vietnamese were using wunyen (文言); an written language and character script, so they lost their own native languages and traditionary cultures.