English Is the Best Language in the World

American Heroe   Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:55 am GMT
"The fact is that England remains centre-stage"

you also might want to re-check that one, little Edward:

I give you a list of countries by Human Development Index. We all know (less you) that is better to live in Spain (16th) than in UK (21th). But with this list you can see it officially.

PD. UK is after USA, Canada, Ireland, Australia and NZ.

Well, even in the Anglosphere, you are the last one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
Damian Bexleyheath Kent   Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:29 am GMT
Poor old England......it gave the world the Language we all use in which to communicate with each other in this Forum, yet it still takes stick from all sides on an on-going basis.....aw, bless! It really, really makes me wonder just why so many people from all corners of the world come here in the first place? Shoo....go away.....it's not nice here...go somewhere else that's more to your liking....see all the grass looking greener on the other side of La Manche or the Nord See.....you'll find people there you can speak English, too in all those advanced Human Development Paradises. Speaking of which.....why not go to Scotland instead of England in the first place? We're all absolutely fantastically human and developed up there!

It's interesting to note that little old England is higher up the list than is Germany in the above quoted HD Index.....Mein Gott!

Whenever people in Europe buy any product which requires the study of an operational manual which comes with the items, be it an electical device or anything else for that matter, they have to scan through a whole range of different Languages to find their own...usually indicated by the standard identification letter(s) appertaining to their own country. Here in the UK it is usually GB...the European ID letters for this country....never UK.

We can then read all the instructions written in English.

I wonder if such manuals are written solely in English in the United States and Canada, or are they given in both English and Spanisn in the USA, and English and French in Canada? Just wondering....
england is no more   Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:34 am GMT
Damian, no one insulted English, they insulted England. The country. That the language originated there is of little importance. English is an OK language, in fact England was an OK country, until it went to shit only relatively recently.
Armada   Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:23 pm GMT
<<Speaking of which.....why not go to Scotland instead of England in the first place? We're all absolutely fantastically human and developed up there! >>

Scotish English is unintelligible .
Damian Sevenoaks Kent   Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:21 pm GMT
***English is an OK language, in fact England was an OK country, until it went to shit only relatively recently***

Oh dear, pal - I'm not sure whether you are a regular reader of the Daily Mail or if you are some poor unfortunate asylum seeker who was refused entry by the UK Border Agency at any one of the many points of entry into this country situated in England.....how distressing for you.

So England went to shit relatively recently? Fantastic....most Scots would say it happened very much further back in time than that.....probably around the time of Bannockburn, but there you go.

England in the shit.....OK, it has rampant binge drinking and the Jeremy Kyle Show and Harriet Harman, its cricketers lose out to the Ockers now and again, and the summer weather overall has been very mediocre in the Blessed Plot, but from all accounts and reports presently circulating from the Bank of England and City financiers and all those horrid wanker bankers who started the whole bloody thing in the first place via the United States of America the £ sterling is holding firm, house prices are starting to rise again and people are buying and selling properties again, green shoots of economic recovery from the global recession are apparently showing through, increasing optimism in manufacturing and trade and commerce generally even though unemployment will continue to rise until well into 2010 by which time it will begin to fall steadily and there'll blue blue birds over the White Cliffs of Dover again.....

Yes, England in the shit good and proper.....I'm in England and can hardly move for the stuff...now let's have YOUR reasons for saying this in the first instance.....pretty please, pal! Looking out of my window at the vista that is South East London at the minute everything looks quite pleasant to be honest with you....even the traffic on the M25 is moving smoothly today if the BBC Radio Five Live Traffic Reports are to be believed. Cheers! ;-)
Armada and V2   Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:53 pm GMT
Hopes of a swift recovery from the recession were dashed yesterday as it emerged the economy is shrinking at its fastest rate since the Great Depression.

Over the last year, gross domestic product has slumped by 5.6 per cent, the steepest crash since quarterly records began in 1955.

Analysts said they believed Britain had suffered the sharpest economic contraction of any year since the 1930s.

A fifth consecutive quarterly fall - 0.8 per cent between April and June - also means

length of the recession matches those of the 1980s and 1990s.

Overall, the economy is now the size it was in 2005 - meaning four years of growth have been wiped out. Economists said the figures were 'shockingly bad'.

Last night Labour's deputy leader Harriet Harman, preparing to take charge of the country as Gordon Brown goes on holiday, refused to back Treasury optimism that the recession will end later this year.

She also appeared to suggest that Chancellor Alistair Darling might review plans to put VAT back up to 17.5 per cent on January 1, something the Treasury later denied.

Car production in the UK dropped by 30.2 per cent last month, compared to June last year, with commercial vehicle production falling more than 60 per cent

Analysts said the new economic figures mean the Chancellor will have to downgrade the forecasts he made in this year's Budget. They pile pressure on the Government to concede that deep spending cuts are necessary.

The size of the decline will also prompt speculation that the Bank of England will be forced into a fresh round of 'printing money', or quantitathetive easing, to try to kick-start the economy.

Martin Weale, of the National Institute for Economic and Social Research, said the current recession was almost identical to the one Britain suffered between 1929 and

The 5.6 per cent contraction over the past year almost matches the 5.8 per cent fall in the year preceding the second quarter of 1931, the height of the Great Depression.

'It looks as if we are pretty much tracking the 1930s,' Mr Weale said.

Shadow Chancellor George Osborne said: 'These figures are much worse than expected and show that the recession is longer and deeper than the Government led us to believe.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1201880/Fresh-blow-recession-recovery-UK-economy-shrinks-0-8.html#ixzz0OpF9p6Uk
Armada and V2   Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:55 pm GMT
France and Germany exit recession (while UK doesn't )

Consumer spending has risen in both France and Germany

The French and German economies both grew by 0.3% between April and June, bringing to an end year-long recessions in Europe's largest economies.

Stronger exports and consumer spending, as well as government stimulus packages, contributed to the growth.

The data came as a surprise, with few analysts expecting Germany and France to start to recover so soon.

But economic activity in the eurozone fell by 0.1%, showing the region as a whole is still in recession.

It was the fifth consecutive quarter of economic contraction in the eurozone, but was a marked improvement on the 2.5% drop recorded in the first three months of the year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8198766.stm
blanc   Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:35 pm GMT
<<I wonder if such manuals are written solely in English in the United States and Canada, or are they given in both English and Spanisn in the USA, and English and French in Canada? Just wondering.... >>

They usually have at least English, Spanish, and French in the US. Sometimes they have other languages as well.
eeuuian   Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:37 pm GMT
<<I wonder if such manuals are written solely in English in the United States and Canada, or are they given in both English and Spanisn in the USA, and English and French in Canada? Just wondering.... >>

Usually they're in English and Spanish around here, sometimes with French and perhaps other languages, too.
Jasper   Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:43 pm GMT
Damian, I very recently did some research with those manuals in a mini-debate about the conciseness of Spanish.

All of the manuals had both English and Spanish, and some of them had English, Spanish, and French. One or two (I've forgotten which) had other languages—Italian and German, if I'm not mistaken.

I can find out for sure if you want to know; I have a zillion of those manuals.
tourist   Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:25 pm GMT
can anyone give me the definiton to " the best language" with a link?
former brit   Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:22 pm GMT
The UK has too long been ruled by pseudo-communists and now is full of immigrants, lefties and other undesirables. I am disgusted by what has become of the UK. Look at the Lockerbie bomber walking free! Ha! What a joke! He should have been executed, not freed!
Lost   Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:00 pm GMT
I've had it with the evil and devious people on here. I won't bother visiting this forum again.
hopeless   Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:00 am GMT
<<English truly is the number one language in the world, and you don't need to know any other languages. People who don't speak English are illiterate in global terms. Thus English-speaking nations are superior to all other nations on Earth. >>

I really hope you're joking.
kil   Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:03 am GMT

I know in Canada it's written in french and english and now even in chinese and spanish.