You CAN End a Sentence With A Preposition...

Entbark   Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:44 am GMT
Most of the people I know in Wisconsin would say "Where's he at?" instead of "Where is he?" No idea why. Same number of syllables, but the stress is on the last syllable rather than the second.
Kelly   Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:29 am GMT
''Do you come with?'' is grammatical in Inland North:

Do you come with? = Do you come along?
Damian Ledbury Herefordsh   Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:56 am GMT
Unless you really want to sound pretentiously like a walking text book of English Grammar it's inevitable that you will place a preposition at the end of a sentence when speaking casually and informally in everyday speech. If you were to use the absolutely correct rules of English grammar each and every time you really would be considered odd.

We invariably say:

"Who were you speaking to?"

"Where do you come from?"

"Who did you go with?"

"Who were those delicious cakes eaten by?"

..and so on.

It's the Big Chill weekend at Eastnor Castle, Ledbury, Herefordshire, England....thousands of people here already for the big fun scene...AND the sun is shining from an almost clear blue sky and it's 23C! AND...I love the company of the people I'm with..... My employers are the people I have to send my reports to.....
Another Guest   Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:48 pm GMT
No, "Where are you going to?" is wrong. This can be seen by simply replacing the interrogative pronoun with the declarative one. "I am going to there". Sorry, not correct English.

What's funny is when people try to do the "put the preposition in front" thing, but then forget and put it at the end, too. "With whom are you going with?"
Shaun   Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:00 pm GMT
I agree with Another Guest. You can still remove the particle 'to' and have the sentence make sense, therefore it is not necessary and shouldn't be there.

This does not happen with "Who are you going with?" which is why the that one is right and the aforementioned is not.
Guest   Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:07 pm GMT
<<No, "Where are you going to?" is wrong. This can be seen by simply replacing the interrogative pronoun with the declarative one. "I am going to there". Sorry, not correct English.
>>

No, Another Guest & Shaun, you are both off your rockers. Where did you learn to speak English???

"I am going to there" is completely correct. It is analogous to "He came/is coming from there" (you lunkheads)

We don't tell French and Spanish people how to speak their languages...
40   Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:52 pm GMT
No, "I am going to there" is not correct. I don't believe I've ever heard it and I certainly don't know anyone who would ever say it. "I am going there" is the correct version.
guest   Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:05 am GMT
I agree. "to there" is wrong. No native speaker would say "I am going to there."
CID   Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:31 am GMT
<<No, "I am going to there" is not correct. I don't believe I've ever heard it and I certainly don't know anyone who would ever say it. "I am going there" is the correct version. >>

<<I agree. "to there" is wrong. No native speaker would say "I am going to there." >>

You are both correct AND wrong:
Correct: you may never hear a native person say "to there"
Incorrect: just because you may never hear a native speaker is NOT the determinent of whether it is right or wrong. You will probably never hear anyone say "wronger" or "rightest", but these words are not incorrect.

A google search for "to there" brought back 5,260,000 hits, among them:
"From here *to there*"
"I want to go back *to there*"
"I go *to there*"
"I want to go *to there*"
"the way *to there*"

Do not flite with a native English speaker ;)
Travis   Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:42 am GMT
>>Most of the people I know in Wisconsin would say "Where's he at?" instead of "Where is he?" No idea why. Same number of syllables, but the stress is on the last syllable rather than the second.<<

Yep, that is an extremely common form in the dialect here in Milwaukee.

>>''Do you come with?'' is grammatical in Inland North:

Do you come with? = Do you come along?<<

Yes. Note that "come with" without a prepositional object is a loan from similar forms in other Germanic languages, such as German "mitkommen" and Norwegian "komme med", as are similar forms such as "bring with" and "take with" without prepositional objects.
Eddy   Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 am GMT
You can end a Sentence with two Ppepositions - sought of.

Space is with in.

Space is within.
tbd   Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:25 pm GMT
"This is a rule up with which I shall not put" - Churchill
Shontelle's fan   Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:01 pm GMT
Where are you (at)?
Where are you going (to)?
Shaun   Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:55 pm GMT
Haha. I really didn't think that this would turn out to be such a huge deal.

Listen, first of all I AM a native English speaker so I take offense to some of the afforementioned comments. I haven't said anything that is untrue to my knowledge yet.

Regardless, some of you seem to be missing the point. The whole point of the argument was this: that it's fine to end the sentence with a dastardly preposition if REMOVING it would result in loss of comprehension (as is so aptly demonstrated by the Churchill quote above).

Est-ce que vous me comprenez encore?
isomorphism   Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:02 pm GMT
<<Do not flite with a native English speaker ;) >>

Native speakers aren't all-knowing. Sometimes a non-native speaker can be right and a native speaker wrong.