The Mechanic Example

Eddy   Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:47 am GMT
The following statement has been posted on antimoon: "About the example you gave, a mechanic isn't ALWAYS a better driver because when he's trying to know more about an engine there are people who are ACTUALLY driving, which makes the difference. "

There is something wrong with this statement. Can anyone spot it? In saying this, I note that a very skilled person with plenty of time and energy could put forward a reasonable defence.
Shaun   Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:58 pm GMT
Just a quick random guess: should the 'when' be a 'while'? The sentence is fairly awkward to begin with! :) (Notice how not including the 'with' in the sentence I just made would result in nonsense, hence prepositions can end a sentence... just FYI for others who are in on that topic!)
Another Guest   Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:09 pm GMT
Besides the issue raised by Shaun, there should be a comma between "driver" and "because", and between "engine" and "there".
Johnny   Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:33 am GMT
I would say: "A mechanic USUALLY isn't a better driver"
Eddy   Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:33 am GMT
Good points, but I am actually looking for something else. There is something significant missing in the original statement.
Eddy   Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:41 am GMT
Still no answer.
Eddy   Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:16 am GMT
No one has worked it out yet
marcus minimus   Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:08 pm GMT
I suppose "know" isn't the best word here. Perhaps "learn" would be better.

Of course, the whole sentence sounds a bit off. It doesn't hang together as well as it could.
passer-by   Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:36 pm GMT
Change "..., which makes the difference" to "..., and that makes a/the difference"

The whole sentence isn't well structured and I hardly know what it's trying to say.
Guest   Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:28 pm GMT
My take:

_About the example you gave, a mechanic isn't ALWAYS the best driver out there, because when he's trying to know more about an engine, there are people who are ACTUALLY driving, which makes the difference._

Also:

_About the example you gave, a mechanic isn't ALWAYS your best driver, because when he's trying to know more about an engine, there are people who are ACTUALLY driving, which makes the difference._

Be that as it may, I think the imagine the statement conjures up is pretty lifeless, as a mechanic isn't supposed to drive well in the first place. A mechanic is supposed to repair stuff.

An example contrasting a sexologist and people who are actually having sex could be much more fitting, ditto for one focusing on financial columnists and brokers that are actually trading stocks and bonds.

With every good wish,

Achab
Eddy   Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:06 am GMT
The answer that I am looking for has still not been provided.
Aladdin   Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:14 pm GMT
@Eddy: Then why don't you provide it to yourself and save the world some wasted bytes? :-)
K.   Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:14 pm GMT
Achab,

Did you really mean a "goose" wish? That means to feel someone up, or possible grab their bum, etc. Please tell me that this was a typo.
K.   Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 pm GMT
Maybe you were thinking about "Comma Gets a Cure" when you wrote that?
St. Louisan   Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:02 am GMT
<<About the example you gave, a mechanic isn't ALWAYS a better driver because when he's trying to know more about an engine there are people who are ACTUALLY driving, which makes the difference.">>

A vehicle can be driven by only one person at a time.