Are Harry Potter movies dubbed into American English?

Tiffany   Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:05 am GMT
<<But I have to give it to him...he always stays in character.>>

Oh how true. I'm sure it's made many a rational person clench their fist when they realize they cannot talk any sense into him.
Uriel   Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:07 am GMT
No, at this point he's just amusing.

"Philosopher" was changed to "Sorcerer" in the US edition for marketing reasons. Remember that the author was utterly unknown at the time and contrary to Adam's assertions, we do know what philosophers are ... dry, dusty, boring old thinkers of deep thoughts. Doesn't conjure up any images of magic for me, and obviously didn't for the publisher either.

And no, as others have mentioned, the movies were not dubbed into American English, although the books have been Americanized slightly.

Harry Potter isn't the only book to undergo a name change upon crossing the Atlantic; the first installment of Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy was originally published in the UK as "Northern Lights", but rechristened "The Golden Compass" in the US. Why? Who knows. We certainly know what the aurora borealis is. Paradoxically, though, the American name makes more sense, as each of the subsequent books were named for a magical object central to the plot ("The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass"), so "The Golden Compass" actually fits the pattern better.
Damian in EH12   Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:10 am GMT
I've said this before in here....Adam is an English Eccentric who never fails to come up with screeds and screeds of Sassenach propaganda. He should be rounded up and exhibited either at the British Museum or in the stocks on Tower Green where people can go loaded with rotten tomatoes.

Or maybe that would be too cruel....maybe he should remain at liberty to continue posting in here because his ramblings have gone way beyond the irritation stage...they are now quite funny really, if you can overlook all the boring statistics he keeps on c & peeing in here.

So I vote for Adam to remain free on the grounds of diminished responsibility and the provision of free entertainment. At least he educates me with "facts" about Scotland and things Scottish which are astounding revelations to me.......I only live here so have no idea what he's on about most of the time. A recent Adamism: "Scotland has the highest murder rate in the World?" Wow! I wonder if they know anything about that over at Holyrood? Maybe I should give them a bell later today and ensure banner headlines in The Scotsman later on.

I'm trying to think of anybody I know who's been murdered, or of anybody who knows of anybody who's been murdered? Not right now I cannae, no. Och well, that's Adam for you....