Does this make sense?

Heather   Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:49 am GMT
Where I come from people will ask if for example: Is the chocolate all? I say it often. Has anyone else ever heard that??
Uriel   Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:07 am GMT
No. And I can't really tell what that is supposed to mean. All what?
Another Guest   Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:23 am GMT
With enough context, it could make sense. For instance, if you order a two-scoop ice cream cone, and you say you want chocolate ice cream, the server might be unsure as to whether you want another flavor, or if you want both scoops to be chocolate, and ask "Is the chocolate all?"
feati   Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:44 am GMT
I think it's supposed to mean "Do we have any chocolate left?". The reason why I understand is simply that I use such constructions in German, too: Ist die Schokolade alle? Sounds perfectly normal to me. Well, in German at least...
Guest   Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:51 am GMT
It does not make sense in English.
upstater   Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:21 pm GMT
<<It does not make sense in English. >>

I agree with another guest. In certain contexts it makes sense, sort of like "Is that all."
DS   Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:07 am GMT
I can see that, like in the sense of "will that be all?" when you're buying something.
Uriel   Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:02 am GMT
I can still not picture anyone actually saying "Is the chocolate all?" At least, not with any regularity.

"Is the chocolate all you want?" or "Do you want all chocolate (on your cone)?" sound much more natural.
K. T.   Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:26 pm GMT
I wouldn't say it, but if it is said with a certain intonation it is understandable.

Is the chocolate ALL? "All" should be said with a higher pitch?

Is the chocolate ALL (that you want/need/desire)?
Heather   Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:38 pm GMT
Yeah i say it to mean-is there anymore left? I wasn't really sure. Thanks for the replies!
feati   Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:15 pm GMT
I have to correct myself, though. "Ist die Schokolade alle?" actually means "Is there NO chocolate left?".
guest   Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:59 pm GMT
oh ! it's "is the chocolate ALL GONE ?
feati   Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:51 pm GMT
Yes, that seems like an appropriate translation.