Number of Speakers with new technologies

Guest   Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:59 am GMT
I start this topic because there are a lot of new technologies to study languages: DVDs in several languages, TV channels in other languages, Wikipedia, MP3, courses on line, courses in PDF, etc.

For instance, a lot of people study English, Spanish or French with a course in PDF and nobody know that...

So, there are official lists about the number of speakers of English, Spanish, French and other major languages, but they can differ a lot from the real number of speakers. Perhaps, we should add 10-20 million to several languages. There is not a register about the people that study the language at home.

What do you think about?
Harman   Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:51 pm GMT
I used to practise my english watching english dvd's with english subtitles and it works fine.
So, am I studing english? or just practicing it? are there any difference?

I also watch english news, tv shows, i use computer teaching program and so on... i like more than go to class.

essayer de faire de meme avec mon pauvre français <->I try to do the same with my poor french...

so i don`t attend to any classes at all, my computer/tv teach me lenguages.

I think there's more people learn lenguages than statistical
shows, i think statical only shows non virtual learning.
K. T.   Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:04 pm GMT
I use whatever I can get inexpensively to study. That usually means using the Internet to find the best deals on used or new products.

You can listen to podcasts in several languages at The Linguist. I watch television from Germany, France, Brazil, Italy, and Spanish broadcasts geared toward a Latin American audience. I also listen to TV from Spain once in a while. I listen to Japanese TV in the US.

I am not so crazy about MP3 CDs for US use. I find they limit me as I have to use a computer or a DVD player to play them. I haven't been able to play them on a regular CD player.