language survey

prerna bakshi   Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:20 am GMT
Hi guys, I am doing a research in my university regarding the language use, can you please spare some of your time and answer my survey. I would really appreciate it. Since it's the word document, I don;t think I can send as a link as there is no option on languageforum for that (I think?) and the survey did not come in tabular format for some reason so please copy+paste and run on word and it will work fine. You can return the result to me privately, if you wish, my email address is prernabakshi84@yahoo.co.in

20 August 2009

Explanatory Statement – Research within the teaching unit ALM4130/ ALM5130/ ALMX413

This information sheet is for you to keep.
My name is Prerna Bakshi and I am conducting a research project with Dr Louisa Willoughby an Assistant Lecturer in the Linguistics Program towards a Masters of Applied Linguistics at Monash University. This means that I will be writing a 2000 word essay from the data I collect in this research project

Why did you choose this particular person/group as participants?

The participants were selected on the basis of the age/gender/location profiles I wished to survey.

The aim/purpose of the research
I am conducting this research to find out how language use varies between ages and genders.

What does the research involve?
The study involves a survey.

How much time will the research take?
Maximum 10 minutes
Total time for surveying all participants = 5 days

Inconvenience/discomfort
None

Can I withdraw from the research?
Being in this study is voluntary and you are under no obligation to consent to participation. However, if you do consent to participate, you may only withdraw prior to 25 August 2009.

Note to Monash Researchers: advise that you do not mislead your potential participants by stating they can withdraw from a research project at any time. If the project involves the submission of anonymous (non-identifiable) material, such as a questionnaire, it should explained clearly to the participants that it will not be possible to withdraw once they have submitted.

Confidentiality
Data collected is anonymous and purely quantitative, as such participants are unidentifiable.

Storage of data
Storage of the data collected will adhere to the University regulations and kept on University premises in a locked cupboard/filing cabinet for 5 years. A report of the study may be submitted for publication, but individual participants will not be identifiable in such a report.

If you would like to contact the researchers about any aspect of this study, please contact the Chief Investigator: If you have a complaint concerning the manner in which this research is being conducted, please contact:

Dr. Louisa Willoughby
School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
Monash University VIC 3800

Tel: +61 3 9905 2237
Email: Louisa.Willoughby@arts.monash.edu.au

Executive Officer, Human Research Ethics
Monash University Human Research Ethics Committee (MUHREC)
Building 3e Room 111
Research Office
Monash University VIC 3800

Tel: +61 3 9905 2052 Fax: +61 3 9905 3831 Email: muhrec@adm.monash.edu.au

Thank you.

Prerna Bakshi

Questionnaire

Gender  Male  Female

Age Group  18-25  26-39  40+

Location (Please specify country only) ___________________

1 How often do you use the following terms?

Always Sometimes Rarely Not At All
Dude
Bro
Man
Buddy
Mate
Baby
Babe
Pal
Yo

2 Which of the following terms would you use to address these people? (Tick all that apply)

Close Friend Partner Sibling Acquaintance Stranger
Dude
Bro
Man
Buddy
Mate
Baby
Babe
Pal
Yo
Sir/Madam
Mr/Ms/Mrs

3 To which of the following genders would you use the below terms? (Tick all that apply)

Male Female
Dude
Bro
Man
Buddy
Mate
Baby
Babe
Pal
Yo

4 What do you think about people who do not use the following terms? (Tick all that apply)

Unfriendly Nerd Normal Old Other (Please Specify)
Dude
Bro
Man
Buddy
Mate
Baby
Babe
Pal
Yo

5 Who do you think is most likely to use the following terms? (Please Tick One)

Male Female
Dude
Bro
Man
Buddy
Mate
Baby
Babe
Pal
Yo

6 Who do you think is most likely to use the following terms? (Please Tick one)

Younger people Older people
Dude
Bro
Man
Buddy
Mate
Baby
Babe
Pal
Yo

7 What do you think about women using the following terms? (Tick all that apply)
Normal Tomboy Aggressive Modern Intimate Other (Please specify)
Dude
Bro
Man
Buddy
Mate
Baby
Babe
Pal
Yo