Singing with an american accent

Borat   Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:45 pm GMT
Why is it that majority of singers (not just americans) sing (or try to sing) with an american accent? I imagine that this wasn't always the case.
Travis   Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:54 pm GMT
One thing you must remember, though, is that even NAE-speakers often sing using at least pseudononrhotic pronunciations, rather than in straight rhotic NAE. Note that pseudononrhoticity is where /@`/ and non-intervocalic postvocalic /r/ are derhoticized in open syllables but perserved in closed syllables. for the record.
Jim   Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:22 am GMT
"... for the record." nice pun.

This is a good question. I'd like to know why too.
Guest   Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:28 am GMT
Because most forms of contemporary music grew out of America
Jim   Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:40 am GMT
... though many have deeper roots from elsewhere. A probably accurate but breif answer.
Larissa   Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:47 am GMT
a very good question! Hey where's my topic 'bout a chat room?
Guest   Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:14 pm GMT
"... though many have deeper roots from elsewhere."

What do you mean? Rock, Metal, Country, Disco, Funk, Blues, Jazz, Swing, Hip Hop, Rap, R & B... all originated from the US.
Pravi   Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:04 pm GMT
Borat,
The main reason I find is that American accent attracts more people worldwide. Imagine someone singing in a Spanish or French accent or even language and how popular does the outcome be? The song is delivered only on how it is accepted by others. (coz end of the show, money matters)

<< Hey where's my topic 'bout a chat room?>>

Larissa, the first thing I searched here in the forum was for your thread, a controversial thread. haha...
Uriel   Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:42 pm GMT
It must be because our accent is so damn mellifluous. ;)
Guest   Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:21 pm GMT
Mellifluous with a pinch of ego and power. Does have a punch to it.
Jim   Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:24 am GMT
Rock, Metal, Country, Disco, Funk, Blues, Jazz, Swing, Hip Hop, Rap, R & B ... These genres many have originated in the U.S. but they didn't just spring up out of thin air. Immigrants brought their muisc with them, from e.g. Europe and Africa. This music evolved into contemporary music.
Guest   Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:40 am GMT
And everything evolved from the Big Bang. What else... the European languages from Gondwana? Of course you can interrelate every phenomenon.
Larissa   Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:06 am GMT
I think it's because the british people don't pronounce "r"
British person   Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:25 am GMT
I'm pwetty shaw I pwonounce that lettuh.