Learning English by using only an ESL dictionary

EnglishLearner   Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 am GMT
Hello,

Is it ok to learn English from reading an ESL dictionary?
I live in a rural community. I do not have access to books written in English. I do not have any English TV channels. There are not any English speakers in my village. I do have an ESL dictionary. Can I learn MOST of the language by using my ESL dictionary (that has the IPA for each word in addition to a sample sentence for each word)?

Thanking you in advance,

EnglishLearner
Curious   Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:13 pm GMT
You don't have access to books and TV and yet you have access to the internet. What kind of rural community is that?
EnglishLearner   Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:38 pm GMT
Hello,

I am using the internet at the library. Our library has some English books, but they are too difficult.
Another Guest   Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:31 am GMT
You'll be able to learn English well enough that any English speaker who is well-motivated to have a conversation will be able to communicate with you. Although, you seem to already at that level, so I'm not sure why you need an ESL book for other than for increasing your vocabulary. The dictionary probably won't be very good for teaching grammar or prosody, and even with IPA, pronunciation is iffy. Possible pitfalls even with a IPA are: not having good transciptions, not getting the pronunciation of the IPA symbols down quite right, not being able to pronounce certain sounds because they're not in your native language, not getting the emphasis right, not noticing that the same spelling can indicate different pronunciations in different contexts, and not paying close enough attention/forgetting the IPA transcription. On top of that, without someone to practice with, without feedback from a native speaker, and with the material being presented in discrete parts, there wouldn't be much context to put it in. A final concern is whether the dictionary fully explains the meanings of the words; many foreign language learners fall into the trap of word-for-word substitutions without considering the fact that words often don't match up quite perfectly across languages. While it's not completely useless, you'd have to have a lot of motivation and language talent to become fluent.

Interestingly "There are not any English speakers" doesn't sound right to me, although "There aren't any English speakers" is fine, as is "There are no English speakers". I guess I've gotten used to the contraction, and its absence sounds odd to me.
Kelly   Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:40 am GMT
I guess I've gotten used to the contraction, and its absence sounds odd to me. //

But it is the contraction that is, normally, objected to, not the elegant form.

Police line - do not cross (elegant)
Police line - don't cross (sloppy)
Guest   Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:39 am GMT
Maybe it's that way in most cases, Kelly, but not this time. If you don't want to use a contraction, say "There are no English speakers."
Curious   Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:56 am GMT
"There are not any English speakers" sounds right to me but "Although, you seem to already at that level" doesn't.
helloworld8888   Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:02 am GMT
Jordan is one of the most marketed sports figures in history. He has been a major spokesman for such brands as air jordan shoes , Coca-Cola, Chevrolet, Gatorade, McDonald's, Ball Park Franks, Rayovac, Wheaties, Hanes, and MCI. Air [url=http://www.hijordans.com]Jordan shoes[/url] has had a long relationship with Gatorade, appearing in over 20 commercials for the company since 1991, including the "Like Mike" commercials in which a song was sung by children wishing to be like to [url=http://www.hijordans.com]buy Jordan shoes[/url].
Nike created a signature shoes for him, called the [url=http://www.hijordans.com]Air Jordan Shoes[/url]. One of Jordan's more popular commercials for the jordan shoe involved Spike Lee playing the part of Mars Blackmon. In the commercials Lee, as Blackmon, attempted to find the source of Jordan's abilities and became convinced that "it's gotta be the shoes". The hype and demand for the shoes even brought on a spate of "shoe-jackings" where people were robbed of their sneakers at gunpoint. Subsequently Nike spun off the Jordan line into its own division named the "Jordan Brand". The company features an impressive list of athletes and celebrities as endorsers. The brand has also sponsored college sports programs such as those of North Carolina, Cincinnati, Cal, St. John's, Georgetown, and North Carolina A&T. Jordan's yearly income from the endorsements is estimated to be over forty million dollars. In addition, when Jordan's power at the ticket gates was at its highest point the Bulls regularly sold out every game they played in, whether home or away. Due to this, Jordan set records in player salary by signing annual contracts worth in excess of $30 million US dollars per season.
Most of Jordan's endorsement deals, including the first deal with jordan shoes , were engineered by his agent, David Falk. Jordan has said of Falk that "he's the best at what he does", and that "marketing-wise, he's great. He's the one who came up with the concept of 'Air Jordan.' An academic study found that Jordan’s first NBA comeback resulted in an increase in the market capitalization of his client firms of more than $1 billion. www.hijordans.com