Slavic languages

Dubrovnik   Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:32 pm GMT
''This is a heavy northern Croatian dialect from the Slovenian border.''

Koprivnica is not on the Slovenian border. Check your facts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koprivnica

It's closer to Hungary than to Slovenia.

And of course we all understand it, you know in the 8th grade we learn about Croatian dialects, even here in Dubrovnik. So we can understand it easily.

Si razmel?
Dubrovnik   Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:41 pm GMT
Obsolete: Hindustani
Current: Hindi & Urdu

Obsolete: SerboCroatian
Current: Serbian & Croatian

There is a Serbian minority in Vukovar, and they have Serbian and Croatian as different subjects in their school curriculum. They learn it both. Just like in regions of India where both Hindi and Urdu are used (for example, in Hyderabad).

Portuguese language developed from the Galician language, but
Croatian did not develop from Serbian. I don't wanna go into that dialect/language thing...You could also say Dutch is a dialect of German and Portuguese is a dialect of Galician. What about Afrikaans? Afrikaans is closer to Dutch than kajkavian and cakavian is to Serbian.

Batuda
(Drago Gervais)

Pepić i Franić dva stara kumpanja na cesti batudu tuču.

sunce pali kot nemo, leno se seni vuču.
Pod bregon more dremje, nigder čoveka ni tića,
ni glasa se ne čuje, leh ona dva batića.

Pote se Pepić i Franić i stare ih kosti bole,
sunce prez milosrja peče škini njin gole.
Muče i prez besedi delaju svoj posal,
da bi od kamika većeg manji kamik postal

A kad bude polne zvonilo storit će va hlade »piknik«,
kus palenti od čera i svakemu po jedan ćik.
BCMS   Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:46 pm GMT
You Learn Croatian dialects, you don't understand them per se. So, Koprivnica is not on the border, but the whole region is bordering to Slovenia, is it not. Anyway, you're proving my point; it's a dialect of Croatian and Slovenians can hardly understand it.
BCMS   Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:52 pm GMT
>>There is a Serbian minority in Vukovar, and they have Serbian and Croatian as different subjects in their school curriculum<<

Of course they do - it's politics all over.
I repeat: Croatians have to LEARN Croatian dialects. You said it.
Croatians can understand STANDARD Serbian MUCH easier than this ćakavian stuff you're presenting.
guest   Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:46 pm GMT
this BCMS, whoever it is, Serbian or Bosnian, don't mind, but please, stop writing nonsens.

jealous? still wanna create a Big Serbia till Tokyo?? well, darling it's over and we don't want to be compared with Serbs because it's like north and south pole and the only similarity is that our languages are mutually intelligible (from the 20th century).
that's it!
BCMS   Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:01 pm GMT
>>our languages are mutually intelligible<<

Thank-you.
I'm not Serbian nor am I Bosniak. Never mind my nationality; this is about facts.
Who ever said that Croatian developed from Serbian or anything about Greater Serbia? Your nationalism and chauvinism is blinding you; not that I care, though.
All I'm saying is BCMS is linguistically one language; although politically (and culturally) it's four languages.
well said   Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:57 pm GMT
All I'm saying is BCMS is linguistically one language; although politically (and culturally) it's four languages

I totally agree! Good job!
guest   Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:34 pm GMT
one must know well both literature hitories to know those languages.
The linguistics is not the only factor.