My English pronunciation - please comment

Perhapslove   Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:53 am GMT
Here's a clip of me reading aloud something in English.
Please help judge my English pronunciaton and leave me some comments. =) and if possible please specify the things, like certain words, that I need to improve. =)
By the way, my pronounciation tends to be English like.

http://www.houndbite.com/?houndbite=15645
ESB   Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:48 pm GMT
It sounds very British to me. I'm from North America, so I can't comment on the nuances of British, but my impression is, this is definitely someone who's British or lived in Britain for a long time.

The only issue for me is that I didn't understand some words. Usually, when a British person talks, I have to strain a little to understand but still, everything is clear. In this case, some words were not clear.
Uriel   Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:46 pm GMT
I don't know that it sounds all that British to me, but I would suggest working on distinguishing your T's and D's -- they pretty much sound the same -- like a T. And your "such" came out as "sich". I had a little trouble understanding your first few words -- "money" really got lost -- until I went back and listened again. Otherwise, your English is accented, but not bad.
The Observer   Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:03 pm GMT
Your pronunciation is English like enough but as Uriel pointed out you need to work on distinguishing your T’s and D’s.

Good luck
Liz   Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:31 pm GMT
You speak with a pleasant-sounding, clear British accent with slight influences of your mother tongue, which, I presume, is not English. What gives you away is the way you pronounce the 'bit'-vowel (it's more of an i sound of words like 'beat'). The other thing that strikes me as a definitely foreign influence is that you pronounce 'particular' as if it were stressed on the first syllable. And, as others have pointed out, your lack of distingushing between ts and ds.

Otherwise your accent is very good and at times almost native-like.

I might be wrong, though. If you, by any chance, happen to be a native speaker, my apologies... :-)
The Observer   Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:28 pm GMT
There's no such thing as a British accent and as far as I can tell this woman is aiming for an English accent, not a Scottish or Wenglish one.

She's trying to sound like an Englishwoman.

:)
Liz   Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:42 pm GMT
<<There's no such thing as a British accent and as far as I can tell this woman is aiming for an English accent, not a Scottish or Wenglish one.

She's trying to sound like an Englishwoman.

:) >>

Exactly. More precisely, she is aiming for an English English accent. :-)

I stand corrected. :-)
The Observer   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:21 pm GMT
<<I stand corrected. :-)>>

Not quite, but I shall let this one pass.

All in good fun Liz

;)
Perhapslove   Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:46 am GMT
Thanks you all for commetning.
Please keep leaving me comments. =)
I'll tell you where I'm from when more people have commented. =)
Muriel   Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:54 am GMT
Frankly, nobody gives a fuck.
BERLUSCONI   Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:55 am GMT
I think she could be Ukrainian.
w/e   Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:15 am GMT
this bitch ain't Slavic; she must be Germanic
feati   Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:51 am GMT
Germanic? I would've thought Germanic languages distinguish between /I/ and /i:/ and /t/ and /d/.

And by the way: It's not only /t/ and /d/ this speaker seems to have problems with but apparently /v/ and /f/ and /Z/ and /S/, too.

discover /dIskVv@/ is pronounced like discofer /dIskVf@/
measure /mEZ@/ is pronounced like mesher /mES@/

Another thing is the pronunciation of "design". Sounds like the n is omitted or nasalized.
Perhapslove   Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:07 pm GMT
Thanks a lot for your comments, I'm Danish bye all
The Observer   Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:23 pm GMT
<<Thanks a lot for your comments, I'm Danish bye all >>

Varsegod, var nara pa att gissa att du var Norska eller Danska haha.

:)