"You lost you relevancy."

Nelie   Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:03 pm GMT
Hello. My boyfriend write me this at the end of email and I have trouble understand what it mean. Please explain. Is it idiom? I don't understand. I ask him but he doesn't reply still.
.   Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:12 pm GMT
I think that you are unwise to ask strangers to explain what your boyfriend may or may not have meant.

It sounds a little bit like:

You lost your relevance?

Which sounds like you are no longer important, that you no longer serve a purpose.

I cannot think of a better explanation. But what ever he wrote it was poor English and not idiomatic.
Nelie   Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:09 pm GMT
Yes, he wrote "You lost youR relevancy." I make a mistake. I don't think you got it right. No,
Guest   Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:24 pm GMT
It means that you should look for another boyfriend.
Laura Braun   Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:00 am GMT
don't worry there are other wishes in the sea. why bother.
Laura Braun   Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:06 am GMT
ooops I meant I meant : there are other fishes in the sea...
Guest   Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:23 am GMT
Is it usual to leave your girlfriend or boyfriend by email in English speaking countries?
Guest   Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:03 am GMT
You meant there's plenty of fish in the sea... =)
Laura Braun   Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:09 am GMT
yeah, yesterday was so dark here that I wrote without looking at the keyboard and exchanged fishes with wishes... but from the other side... life is a journey... why bother for someone who doesn't seem to care about you, just let it go. Most of all love yourself then you should learn how to love others. :)
Caspian   Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:18 am GMT
"You lost your relevancy" means that you are no longer important, no longer necessary. It's written by an American, or a learner of American English.
Damian in London E14   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:24 am GMT
It's simply a very odd way of telling you that he's dumping you, dear heart. Apparently he no longer finds you relevant in his amorous interests, so you should now think likewise and move on with your life. Mr Right he most obviousy was not, so think of it as a very lucky escape, hen*. Bon chance.

*A Scottish term of endearment aimed at a female.
zhi   Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:18 pm GMT
<<"You lost your relevancy" means that you are no longer important, no longer necessary. It's written by an American, or a learner of American English. >>

Why American?
Laura Braun   Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:54 pm GMT
Nelie, nothing to worry. This boyfriend should be the most coward man in the whole world. He writes the things instead of saying them in eyes that's what all coward men do. They cannot say the truth in the eyes because they are too scared to face it. If you ask me such 'boyfriends' do not cost even a penny.
JF   Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:53 pm GMT
We should not jump to conclusions. We have one sentence and no context.
Laura Braun   Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:38 am GMT
yeah, we need the background there. :)))