England and America are two countries separated by a common

Robin Michael   Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:07 pm GMT
England and America are two countries separated by a common language.
--George Bernard Shaw

'to get tanked up'

BrE = British English

To drink a lot before you go out.

AmE = American English

"Hillary needs to get tanked up."

To make sure that your political funding is in place?

In the UK the money the political parties can spend on election campaigns is strictly limited. For obvious reasons such as avoiding corruption, and the overbearing influence of the big donors to whom you owe favours.

Unfortunately as a result both of the main political parties in the UK are running on empty and very small amounts of money can make a huge difference.
Kuso Aho   Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:34 pm GMT
In the England is the common language America what? To tank up the learn me for while pretty dog. I think be the political parties to got tank up nice drunk, love money! No think?
.   Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:36 pm GMT
Hello Guest

I am glad you are taking an interest in what I am writing.

I think that it is best to avoid petty squabbles. That way everyone can enjoy using the Forum.
K. T.   Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:06 pm GMT
Oh the joys of being multilingual...

"Kuso Aho" are two vulgar words in Japanese. Kuso is excrement and Aho is "fool"-but it carries more punch in Japanese.

I have wondered what Japanese think when they hear "Ajo" in Spanish as a place name.
Guest   Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:22 pm GMT
<<I have wondered what Japanese think when they hear "Ajo" in Spanish as a place name.
>>

"Ajo" as a place name? I don't know of any.
-   Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:15 pm GMT
The British equivalent to 'tanking up' the car with gas, is 'filling up' with petrol.
Visit "Garlic"   Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:38 am GMT
Caspian   Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14 am GMT
True, 'gas' in Britain means either the gaseous state of an element, or the kind of 'gas' which powers cookers, lights or radiators, like Kerosene. We never say 'gas' for the liquid that one puts in one's car. We say petrol.
shaw   Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:30 pm GMT
>> England and America are two countries separated by a common anguage--George Bernard Shaw <<

I've never understood exactly what this quotation actually means, or what its significance is.
Damian London E14   Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:43 pm GMT
It's significance lies in the fact that English is the basic spoken Language of both countries for the vast majority of the popultion of both, but many aspects of the Language in each differs from the other in so many ways, to the extent that misunderstandings and misconceptions and even frustrations and irritations occur with remarkable frequency between the two, especially when a native of one country spends any length of time in that of the other.
Damian E14   Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:45 pm GMT
....many aspects of the Language in each differ....
shaw   Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:21 pm GMT
So it's sort of similar to the situation in the various regions of Germany, although not as extreme, of course.