Comments on Livemocha.com

Robin Michael   Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:46 pm GMT
I would be interested in your comments on Livemocha.com

Livemocha uses Flash cards but it also has other aspects. I started the TOEFL course but I got rather fed up with it. I got the impression that it was not very well put together. There is something very annoying about a computer program that insists the wrong answer is right or a computer program that asks nonsensical poorly thought out questions.

I have also started learning a language - Polish. I had a problem that a Chinese person might appreciate. The Flash Cards start off with whole words and their English equivalent. In Polish the alphabet is different from English.

I think that it would help to first learn the sounds of the letters before starting with words. I believe that if you understand how the sounds go with the letters - in Polish -then the words become relatively easy to pronounce.
.   Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:15 pm GMT
I have just had a little look at Livemocha.com and unfortunately I can see all the problems that I experienced before are still there. However I do think that in time, that programs like Livemocha will become more important. It is like a lot of things with computers. In reality the experience is poor but people still persist because it is the future. There is also an element of unaccountabilty which is also very typical of computer programs.
Peeers Morgan   Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 am GMT
. Earn points on Livemocha

What do I know about Travis, Damian, Guest, K.T. etc?

Have they been using antimoon for sometime or have they only just started using antimoon?

Do they have a track record?

What sort of people do they associate with?

Are they interested in learning languages or in helping others?

What sort of languages are they interested in?

The Livemocha concept has a lot going for it. The execution is not particularly good, but if it starts to make money, it will get better and better. Unlike antimoon, it is clearly designed to make money and so in all likelihood, Livemocha will have a rosy future.

I suspect that at the moment Livemocha is running on funds given to it by investors who are keen to be at the start of something big. The concept is good, and people just love working for points!
K. T.   Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:30 am GMT
I don't have anything to do with Livemocha.

I don't know what these points are.
Morgan Peeers   Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:35 am GMT
Languages
Speaks:

* Uzbek | Native
* Russian | Fluent

Learning:

* English | Beginner

Personal Information

I think that it is interesting to help people from foreign countries to learn English. Possibly I might go to these places one day.

If I make a sensible comment on Livemocha, I do not have to put up with a complete idiot writing nonsense in response. On the other hand, I am only corresponding with one person at a time.
Magdalene   Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:54 am GMT
Livemocha is much more personal that antimoon. It is possible to get to know people, if you want too.

Don't worry about 'Sock Puppets' and stupid questions about Grammar - Molly B.

*Michelle*

I like to help others improve their English. Chat in English only. Comments on English exercises only.

Languages
Speaks:

* English | Native

Learning:

* Spanish | Intermediate
* German | Intermediate

Personal Information

* Relationship status: In a relationship
K. T.   Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:37 am GMT
My description on Livemocha.com

K. T.

Photo

K. T.
Oi pessoal! Estou de volta. Senti saudades. Estou vendo que perdi amigos que me ajudaram muito no começo. Obrigado a todos que ficaram pacientemente até que eu voltasse. Mil desculpas. Um abraço a todos. Felicidades, saude e paz a todos.
Languages
Speaks:

* Portuguese (Brazil) | Native

Learning:

* English | Beginner

Personal Information

* Relationship status: Not in a relationship
K. T. (not the Chinese/B   Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm GMT
There must be many "K. T." posters...
K. T. (not Brazilian)   Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:48 pm GMT
I guess I'll have to change my posting name again.
.   Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:04 pm GMT
Dear K. T.

<<I don't have anything to do with Livemocha.

I don't know what these points are. >>

I am trying to encourage people to have a look at Livemocha.com and to give their opinions. What I am trying to do in showing the Profile of someone called K. T. on Livemocha is to show that Livemocha gets round some of the problems that plague antimoon.
Pepactononius   Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:56 pm GMT
<<I guess I'll have to change my posting name again. >>

Why not just change it for each post. That's what I do, unless I get laxy and reuse an old name.

Marcus Marcellus Pepactonius Gassius Maximus
K. T. (USA)   Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:43 am GMT
Changing my name each time isn't a bad idea, but it will make me seem like a troll everyone knows, lol.

I looked at livemocha.com. I looked at it months ago, then recently.
I'm not really into social networking sites-even ones with the bonus of "live teachers". I think the Languages Forum here at Antimoon could be used in a similar way as a great teaching and learning tool for writing in other languages IF everyone would agree to disagree at times and to be civil in their disagreements.

Even the English forum could be opened up to attract more posters and advertising revenue, but it isn't my site. The best thing now for both forums here is that there is no registration. We can get "live" help with certain languages. Sometimes it takes a week, but it's still a great help.

What I noticed at livemocha was that no matter my real level, when I tried their free testing in Russian, Chinese, and Japanese, it was suggested that I take their level 202 course. I suppose that is their highest course-an intermediate course. Perhaps they have a longer test for people who sign up, but the short one they offered doesn't offer the kind of assessment I am seeking. It looks like a fun site, and I think they have a great idea, but it seems to be for beginners and intermediates and only for certain languages. My impression could be completely wrong as I only saw what was offered without signing up.
mrs   Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:20 pm GMT
well, although it claims to teach you the language you wish to learn, it won't benefit anyone who doesn't know enough language to make at least basic conversations. It is simply a place where learners can interact with each other.

But from some people's pictures one can assume they want to interact with the world in a different way despite the impossibility of such a thing :D

any correction is appreciated
Deadmocha   Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:58 pm GMT
I find it babyish.
Robin Michael   Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:16 pm GMT
Thank you K. T. for having a look. You would get a better idea if you signed up. My experience of Livemocha is that it is free. I know they are trying to sell various things and that is ultimately what they want to do. But at the moment it is free. Livemocha has been going through a process of Beta testing. My main complaint is that things do not work as well as they ought too.

When I make an Audio comment on someone’s Submission, I find initially the recording process works, but then it fades out. I am sure that a lot of these problems boil down to money, computer equipment, internet bandwidth, etc.

As a Native English Speaker I can correct people's writing and comment on their Audio Submissions. In practice I find I do not use it to learn a foreign language. However I will be starting night school classes in Polish again, so I might try to use it. I have an email correspondence with a couple of Polish people and one Russian.

Bye for now

Robin Michael