Is English an inferior language?

met   Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:53 pm GMT
In response to the original poster: I can't say for sure whether English is inferior to Finnish, German and Russian, that would depend a lot on what you meant by that. But I can say that I like it a lot more than any of those languages. English is usable. You can communicate in it, effortlessly. Not so with the others. The extensive case systems of Russian and, especially, Finnish make those languages very terse and heavy-handed feeling, and zero fun to use for a learner. And the continued use of cases in German is simply retarded, as are noun genders, as someone already mentioned. In English, a noun has a gender if it has a gender. I can believe that. In German and Russian, genderless nouns have genders. Retarded. It would be less bothersome if they simply renamed them grammatically. Instead of feminine, masculine and neuter nouns, just say category A, B and C nouns. It would still be ludicrous, but more easily digested perhaps. I'll take simple, inferior English any day of the week, thanks.
a demotivator   Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:54 pm GMT
“The extensive case systems of Russian and, especially, Finnish make those languages very terse and heavy-handed feeling…”

It’s only because you don’t know those languages. It’s so stupid to say that language X is something (usually negative), when the only problem, so to say, is YOUR inability to use that language.

“And the continued use of cases in German is simply retarded…”

“Retarded” is a very bad choice of words here. I’d rather use that word to describe people who keep on bashing out comments about things they don’t understand. (Usually they are called just “stupid”, but why not advance our vocabulary every now and then?)

“It would be less bothersome if they simply renamed them grammatically.”

By now, most readers will think that you just trying to write a (bad) parody of some of the most inane posts on this forum, but I can see through. I know that you yourself believe what you are cranking out and I think it’s very sad.

PS I don’t have any desire to make you feel bad. Believe that if you want.
--   Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:13 pm GMT
<< And the continued use of cases in German is simply retarded, as are noun genders, as someone already mentioned. In English, a noun has a gender if it has a gender. I can believe that. In German and Russian, genderless nouns have genders. Retarded. It would be less bothersome if they simply renamed them grammatically. Instead of feminine, masculine and neuter nouns, just say category A, B and C nouns. It would still be ludicrous, but more easily digested perhaps. I'll take simple, inferior English any day of the week, thanks. >>

There are languages like Bantu languages which have a class system with up to over 16 or so classes. If you have just 2 or 3 classes, you can call it gender. In English, a noun doesn't have gender, exept maybe for the 3 person singular pronouns.

>> In English, a noun has a gender if it has a gender.

Sounds retarded, doesn't it?

>>In German and Russian, genderless nouns have genders.

Even more so!

In Bantu linguistics, they also use numbers do refer to the classes.
Xie   Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:08 am GMT
>>“And the continued use of cases in German is simply retarded…”

“Retarded” is a very bad choice of words here. I’d rather use that word to describe people who keep on bashing out comments about things they don’t understand. (Usually they are called just “stupid”, but why not advance our vocabulary every now and then?) <<

Well said. German kids also learn grammar, and I also learned characters by hand. Nothing retarded except those who say it.
Retard   Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:07 am GMT
My ears are burning!
Amabo   Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:20 pm GMT
"The extensive case systems of Russian and, especially, Finnish make those languages very terse and heavy-handed feeling, and zero fun to use for a learner. And the continued use of cases in German is simply retarded, as are noun genders, as someone already mentioned. In English, a noun has a gender if it has a gender. I can believe that. In German and Russian, genderless nouns have genders. Retarded."

Just about the dumbest diatribe I've read in some time here.

Does Antimoon have any serious language discussions at all anymore?
Animateur   Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:54 pm GMT
>>In German and Russian, genderless nouns have genders.

What does it mean anyway?? I can't get it!!!
Perhaps you meant things that are without genitals have genders.

Everything has gender properties to some extent. It is as natural to me as for English-speakers usage of articles are. If your outlook is so reduced that the gender is no longer exsitent I pity you greatly.

As to simplicity of English, English is easy to start learning but nothing more. It's no easier or simpler than any other language altogether.
Present prevalence of English is merely coincidental.

Who cares anyway? In some two hundred years humankind will be extinct and all languages will be substituted by machine code.
Damian Putney SW15   Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:55 pm GMT
***In some two hundred years humankind will be extinct***

Such doom-laden predictions have been made by members of humankind itself since time immemorial...you really must learn to have more faith in your fellow human being...and in the Supreme Being of your own particular belief if you are not entirely atheistic or at best agnostic.

This World and the whole Universe and all they contain are just too wonderful to ever be just some kind of bizarre evolutionary accident.
--   Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:17 pm GMT
Sorry, Damian,

but unfortunately, since some decades, humankind is actually able to make extinct itself. Having more faith in the fellow human beings is very hard because there are many many bad experiences with them. And the Supreme Being already caused very much trouble, so better to get rid of it.

I wouldn't assume the whole Universe to be what you dismiss it to be. Animateur didn't claimed that!
@   Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:10 pm GMT
[This World and the whole Universe and all they contain are just too wonderful to ever be just some kind of bizarre evolutionary accident.]

Let me see if I understand your logic.

The whole universe is wonderful.

Evolution could not possibly produce anything as wonderful as the whole universe.

Therefore the whole universe was not produced by evolution.

Is that your syllogism, Damian?
NW   Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:21 am GMT
YES, ENGLISH C'EST AN INFERIOR AND BASTARDIZED LANGUAGE.
--   Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:15 pm GMT
<<Let me see if I understand your logic.

Evolution could not possibly produce anything as wonderful as the whole universe.

Therefore the whole universe was not produced by evolution.>>

He obviously believes in a Supreme Being which created the universe.
Guest   Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:25 pm GMT
<<[This World and the whole Universe and all they contain are just too wonderful to ever be just some kind of bizarre evolutionary accident.]

Let me see if I understand your logic.

Therefore the whole universe was not produced by evolution.

Is that your syllogism, Damian? >>

So the English language is an evolutionary accident.
Guest   Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:46 pm GMT
Who cares.©
Amabo   Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:18 pm GMT
"Present prevalence of English is merely coincidental."

Hardly coincidental.

More to do with the simple historical fact that the last two back-to-back political, economic and military superpowers have both been English-speaking.