Is English an inferior language?

Carlos   Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:33 pm GMT
Does the simplicity of English grammar make the language inferior to other more complex languages such as Finnish, Russian or German?
fools everywhere   Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:01 pm GMT
Does the simplicity of your mind make you an inferior person to other more complex people like myself?

Yes, yes it does.
Johnny   Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:15 pm GMT
Of course not, or it wouldn't be the most learned language in the world, the language of music and science, the language of the most important communication system in the world: the internet.
The language with most native speakers in the world, Chinese, has a very simple grammar too.
Apart from irregular spelling, English is almost perfect as a language, because it has no limitations and it's relatively simple at the same time.
cnablis   Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:06 am GMT
<<Apart from irregular spelling, English is almost perfect as a language, because it has no limitations and it's relatively simple at the same time. >>

Isn't any language almost perfect, in regard to its lack of limitations?

I guess a good question is: can a language with complex morphology do a better job of expressing complex and subtle ideas?
Guest   Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:10 am GMT
What languages have limitations and what languages doesn't? Why doesn't English have limitations? Also, isn't irregular spelling a major factor to consider English far from being perfect?.
Edward Teach   Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:00 am GMT
Dont take this thread seriously.
I suspect it was started by that bitter spaniard who is enraged that his language is virtually useless.
Damian Fleet Hampshire   Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:44 am GMT
This thread has quite ruined what would otherwise have been a very pleasant day for me. It's come as a wee bit of a shock to know that I am going about my business today speaking a language which may well be considered "inferior".

Everybody, but everybody, and his dog (and budgie) around me here today in this nice part of Hampshire are speaking exactly the same language as I am - English. How exactly do I go about telling them all just how "inferior" a means of verbal communication it could well be?
blanc   Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:14 am GMT
'Simple grammar' would, in my opinion, make a language superior. For me a language should be practical and useable above all. This does not negate the possibility it could be colourful, expressive and express complex ideas, but I think some aspects of other languages, like the gender-nouns of France rather pointless. Some languages were prized for their poetic beauty - Sanskrit, for instance, and as a result never maintained their popularity.
Guest   Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:39 am GMT
<<This thread has quite ruined what would otherwise have been a very pleasant day for me. It's come as a wee bit of a shock to know that I am going about my business today speaking a language which may well be considered "inferior". >>

Who cares.
.   Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:44 am GMT
To: Edward Teach

What is the point of insulting people of other nationalities in an English language forum for people learning English?

Is this likely to encourage people to learn English if you insult their own language?

If you want to teach Spanish people, you would do them the complement of trying to learn a little Spanish.

Why do you think English speaking people are hated in South America?
.   Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:46 am GMT

Why do you feel the need to make a comment?

Why do so many people hate Americans?
Guest   Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:49 am GMT
<<Why do so many people hate Americans? >>

Who cares.
.   Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:54 am GMT
Why People Hate America: A Summary of Anti-Americanism

Some reasoning is nonsensical and negative, but also, the USA has done much to antagonize the world. By Vexen Crabtree.
www.vexen.co.uk/USA/hateamerica.html - Cached - Similar

Why the United States is hated with such bitterness?

“Opinion polls show that half the German population is openly critical of US leadership for a number of reasons:

* Its failure to consult its allies as promised.
* Its refusal to sign up to joint action against global warming.
* Its protectionist stance on trade issues such as steel and agriculture.”

It is not evil that's the problem here I think, just incredible, earth shattering, incalculable, painfully entrenched ignorance.
jaGGer   Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:57 am GMT
i thought english was hard to learn.....
Johnny   Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:50 am GMT
<<I guess a good question is: can a language with complex morphology do a better job of expressing complex and subtle ideas? >>

Not always, not necessarily. If additional particles and a more complex grammar lead to more possible meanings , then yes, but this is often not the case.

<<What languages have limitations and what languages doesn't?>>

I just learned that Chinese tones seem to be a big limitation to expressiveness in the arts. It's not a suitable language for singing, for example. Also, along with Japanese, its writing system is far too complicated compared to that of most other languages in the world, unless they all switch to pinyin or romaji.

The only limitation in English is its irregular spelling, not its grammar. This limitation makes it hard for a learner to learn to read or pronounce English words in a consistent way, and makes it impossible to read any words you don't know, like place names, people's last names, new words that were made up like brand names.