Brazilian Portuguese - is it a hard language?

Baita marra   Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:06 pm GMT
There´s no such thing like brazilian portuguese (for me) /

Then you should educate yourself.
Otherwise, you look just like a moron.

There is Brazilian Portuguese, just like there is Quebec French and Swiss German. Stop crying over spilled milk. You lost Brazil, so Brazilian language changes are more than evident.
Baita marra   Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:08 pm GMT
Irish actors are in demand today, because their English sits at the center of all dialects, and can please both the American and the British audience,/

I agree, Mozambican Portuguese is easy for a Brazilian to understand.
Even Capeverdean creole is easier than fast Lisbon speech.
inflação   Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:13 pm GMT
<<The "difficult" verb forms, are all part of basic everyday speech, and are unavoidable.

Portuguese is not like french where theres different grammar that only exists in writting.>>

Actually, at least in Brazil the written and spoken language do have different grammar (for most dialects). For instance, in some dialects you use the second person singular pronoun with the verb in the third person ("Tu *entendeu o que escrevi?") but you never write it; in some dialects most plural -s are dropped ("Nós *falamo", "Quero dois *copo"), but it is unacceptable to drop them in writing; in some dialects there are no accusative forms ("Encontrei *ele", "Amo *ela"), but again you'll never see that written; and the examples could go on and on. There's academic debate on how much diglossic Brazilian dialects really are, but it's undeniable that there's a large gap separating the written from the spoken language.

As for the verbal forms, I'd say at least in my dialect they are all used to some degree (with the exception of the dead ones like all the second person plurals and the analytic mais-que-perfeito, though it still figures in some expressions like "tomara", "quem me dera", "pudera", "quisera"), but I'm sure there must be some dialects where some of them are almost never used.
Leslie   Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:12 pm GMT
Tomara (I wish)
Quem me dera (I wish)
Pudera (No wonder)

all fixed phrases

Quisera it's rarely used...

I don't think accusative forms are never used in writing, in subtitling of foreign movies one can often see: Deixe eu ver (Lemme see) instead of Deixe-me ver (Let me see), they are also found in music lyrics and in modernist literature (Macunaíma by Mário de Andrade and books by Guimarães Rosa), so there are two grammars in use in Brazil:

1. Brazilian one: used in speech, movies, sitcoms, soap operas, popular music lyrics, and in modern literature, as well in theatre works

2. Portuguese one: used in newspapers and legalese

I've never seen a book written in Swiss German, but there are inumerous books and theater plays writen in Brazilian vernacular (from Macunaíma to Grande Sertão, and Primeiras Estórias), so in a way Brazilians do respect their vernacular speech more than Swiss German speakers...

So, I think Brazil is more of a Norway where two norms coexists, one Danish-imported (Bokmal) and one Norwegian (Nynorsk)...
Evinória   Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:49 pm GMT
O que vocês sabem sobre o Brasil?

Deixem que os brasileiros respondam! Os brasileiros de verdade, como eu!

Não existem dialetos no Brasil, apenas sotaques!
Refina   Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:05 pm GMT
To the original post, just because a country is larger & has a larger population it doesn't me tht their form of speaking should be adapted at all.
After all the u.s.a is larger than England or Spain smaller than the speaking countries & they don't go around telling everyone tht they should spek their form of english or spanish.
Jane   Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:23 am GMT
Brazilian Portuguese is widely understood in Portugal, but the opposite is not always true. Brazil has been building a barrier and has been barring Portugal imports like movies, sitcoms, music/songs...They already have their own products.
Joao   Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:13 pm GMT
"Deixe eu ver (Lemme see)"

Wrong!

Deixe eu ver, litterally means " Let I see" instead of the correct " Let me see"

This is just slang, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's not a different language but slang.
Joao   Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:16 pm GMT
"O que vocês sabem sobre o Brasil?

Deixem que os brasileiros respondam! Os brasileiros de verdade, como eu!

Não existem dialetos no Brasil, apenas sotaques!"

Quoting Evinória?

What do you know about Brazil? Let the trully Brazilians to answer. Trully Brazilians like Evinória.

"There are no dialects in Brazil, just accents"´
Joao   Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:19 pm GMT
"Even Capeverdean creole is easier than fast Lisbon speech"

Baita Marra, you do not know what you're talking about. The real reatarded is you, in fact.
Kubanga   Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:41 pm GMT
We don't ever say DEIXE-ME VER
It's DEIXA EU VER
or pronounced as CHOVER (to rain)
Evinória   Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:32 am GMT
Que história é essa Kubanga (rsrsrs) de Chover?

Somente você fala assim né?

KKKKK
*   Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:17 am GMT
When will Brazilian Portuguese replace Spanish in Latin America (Central & Southern)?
Marcos Bagno   Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:24 am GMT
http://www.amazon.com/L%C3%ADngua-Brasileira/dp/B000Y92VW2

LÍNGUA BRASILEIRA

http://blog.controversia.com.br/2009/10/07/reflexes-sobre-a-histria-da-lngua-brasileira/

THE PROBLEM OF BRAZILIAN LANGUAGE
http://www.traca.com.br/livro/84337/o-problema-da-lingua-brasileira

a ''problem''?
I don't know

Only Brazilians to see their language ''a problem''
No South African would call Afrikaans ''a problem''
Joao   Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:04 am GMT
Only Brazilians to see their language ''a problem''
No South African would call Afrikaans ''a problem''

Afrikaans is a distinctive language from Dutch. The spelling is different in almost all the words. The difference between Afrikaans and Dutch cannot be compared with the difference between Brazillian Portuguese and "Portuguese Portuguese" because it's a lot wider.
Afrikaans is a kind of XVII century Dutch with some other influences (I've heard that it even has influences from Portuguese, but I do not yhink it's true).

The same applies for Cape-Verde creole. It's not Portuguese. It's quite different and impossible to understand if you do not speak the language. It's not a matter of pronunciation. It's really different words.
It's also not between the Brazilian form of Portuguese and the European form. It's very different and a bit harsh to listen to.

If you guys want to develop a different language in Brazil, go ahead. If you want to push for having Brazilian vocabulary put in language agreements between the Portuguese speaking countries, be welcome. I am from Lisbon, but I am not like those language fundamentalists from Lisbon. I respect the way Brazilians speak.

Just do not start saying that you guys speak a distinctive language when right now you don't. It's a bit foolish to have Brazilians writing texts in Portuguese claiming that they do not speak Portuguese.