Latin Union

/*-   Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:59 pm GMT
What do you think about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Union ?
Hans Christian Robinson   Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:05 pm GMT
<<What do you think about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Union ? >>

What do YOU think about it, Mexican?
Does it really exist? Or does it only exist in your MIND...?
Chris   Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:10 pm GMT
Prior to seeing the article in WIKIPEDIA, I had never heard of it, not in the news, not from Hispanics I know, nothing.

Is it a true organisation, or just a WIKIPEDIA article someone draughted in order to "get the ball rolling" on it, so to speak?

Judging from all the infighting I see here between Hispanics and French and Hispanics and Portuguese, I seriously don't give it much of a future.

And like I said, I've never heard of anything benevolent or worthwhile that they have done. Do they feed hungry children or somethin' :?
_*_!W!_*_   Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:11 pm GMT
Pues una jodida gilipollez creada, si mis limitados conocimientos no me fallan, por los franceses para tratar de convencer al resto de paises con idiomas derivados del latin de que el francés tiene que seguir en el sistema educativo de los paises integrantes.... vamos lo de siempre, otro intento a la desesperada de los parisinos para hacernos creer que el dialecto de paris tiene que estar al mismo nivel que el inglés en los sistemas educativos.
PARISIEN   Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:21 pm GMT
Un machin absolument inutile.
Harman   Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 pm GMT
I've never heard of it and beside i miss Argentina, they speak spanish.
Sorry i know nothing about this.

The most similar organization i know is:
Organization of Ibero-American States with spanish and portugues official language.

Members of the Organization of Ibero-American States
Headquarters Madrid, Spain
Language Spanish, Portuguese
Membership 24 sovereign states
Leaders
- Head of the OEI King Juan Carlos I
- Secretary General Álvaro Marchesi
Area
- Total 21,462,574 km2
12,147,768 sq mi
Population
- 2005 estimate 712,974,000
- Density 61.09/km2
158.2/sq mi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organization_of_Ibero-American_States
Zorro   Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:58 pm GMT
Yes, and there is another one, the Iberoamerican Summits.

There are 22 countries in this yearly meeting, organized by the Iberoamerican Community of Nations, of the heads of government and state of the Spanish-, Portuguese-speaking nations of Europe (3 countries) and the Americas (19 countries).

In 2009, there will be two another countries in these meetings, Equatorial Guinea (Africa) and Philippines (Asia). Belize and Timor want also be members of this yearly meeting.

Nowadays, they are over 800 million people and they will be over 1 billion in the near future with new members from all the Continents.
encore   Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:46 pm GMT
What about Germanic Union (English,German,Dutch,Swedish,Danish,Norwegian,Icelandic,Frisian)?
Wuffa   Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:52 pm GMT
<<What about Germanic Union (English,German,Dutch,Swedish,Danish,Norwegian,Icelandic,Frisian)? >>

What about it?
We don't need one. We are capable of standing on our own feet without the crutch-system afforded by a "union'. HAHA

"UNION" ---HAHAHAHAHA
A more original name   Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:59 pm GMT
Or because UK and Germany hate each other very much...
John Smith   Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:59 pm GMT
"What about Germanic Union (English,German,Dutch,Swedish,Danish,Norwegian,Icelandic,Frisian)? "

You forgot the United States
encore   Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:35 pm GMT
<<Wuffa Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:52 pm GMT
We don't need one. We are capable of standing on our own feet without the crutch-system afforded by a "union'. HAHA >>
We or you?
Wuffa   Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:03 pm GMT
<<We or you?>>

Well, since standing on one's own two feet is a desirable and highly soght-after quality, I would like to think it's "we".

Need for consensus and unionisation is a purely "latin" characteristic; and a negative attribute to be associated with childhood and/or especially first year of Secondary schooling.
Alessandro   Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:24 pm GMT
E' la prima volta che lo sento. Wikipedia è sempre meno attendibile.
-Mjdt-   Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:08 pm GMT
<<Well, since standing on one's own two feet is a desirable and highly soght-after quality, I would like to think it's "we".

Need for consensus and unionisation is a purely "latin" characteristic; and a negative attribute to be associated with childhood and/or especially first year of Secondary schooling. >>

You know, there is really no such thing as a latin, germanic or slavic identity in Europe, because other things like national identity override any linguistic one. Most people just identify with their national origins and that's it. The only thing I can think that comes close is a Celtic identity, but then the Celtic languages are very much under threat as of today. There are perhaps smaller unions for countries that are closely aligned culturally and linguistically, scandinavian countries, iberian countries etc.