What is education?

Arnold Layne   Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:58 pm GMT
Reading these forums, I see a lot of people talk about how education affects how one speaks English. My question is, what makes a person educated? A person who is familiar with Shakespeare and understands Physics may be more "educated" than a farmer. But, the farmer knows how to take care of his family by using his own hands.
d   Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:01 pm GMT
What people have in mind is the classical education of inculcating the child with stuff like Ancient Green myths, latin roots, Romantic poetry, etc.
Guest   Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:02 pm GMT
<<But, the farmer knows how to take care of his family by using his own hands. >>
That does not make him educated. A shewolf takes care of her family too because her instincts are enough for that.Also, farmers are usually single. Women don't like to live in the countryside with a poor peasant. They prefer big cities with a lot of boutiques.
Arnold Layne   Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:06 pm GMT
I questioning the definition of "education". The farmer is educated about animals whilst the "educated" person has no clue about farming.
Damian Putney SW15   Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:12 pm GMT
"We don't need no education......we don't need no thought control....."

.....so says Pink Floyd....well, we in Antimoon don't need no Pink Floyd geezers, do we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwTpZpwjtIE
Arnold Layne   Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:16 pm GMT
The name of the song is Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2. So what if I am a Pink Floyd fan. Geezer? Do you think I am old? I'm 18.
Aladdin   Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:47 pm GMT
John Holt (http://tinyurl.com/5uyehp) said that, to him, education is (quote from memory) "what one does in order to acquire more knowledge or skill."

He later said that most people have a different opinion about what education is, in the sense that most will define it as "what OTHER people do to you in order to acquire more knowledge or skill."

While both definitions converge to the same goal (more knowledge or skill), by changing the centerpiece of the process (self vs. others) makes a world of differences between the two approaches. (For more details read Holt's books: Learning All the Time, Instead of Education, and so on.)

So, if we are to consider the second definition as being the one usually implied by people, then I'll wholeheartedly recite Pink Floyd's lyrics: "We don't need no education...".

On another note, education makes sense only in the context of one's life. For example, the aforementioned farmer is a perfectly educated person in the context of his life (knowledgeable and skillful at farming and so on), but may pass as a totally uneducated person in a Boston amphitheater or a Buddhist monastery.
Animateur   Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:06 pm GMT
Education is a tool that makes people feel detached from prehistoric times.
Poor Farmer   Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:22 pm GMT
You guys are just another prick in the wall.

Educated only means you have gone to school and have obeyed your teachers, just to be another perfect brick in the wall. Therefore, it's clear that being educated doesn't necessarily make your English better, doesn't necessarily mean you are smart, and doesn't necessarily mean you have a clue about anything you think you have learned.
education   Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:33 pm GMT
Education is the process by which humanity makes cool shit, like spaceships, nuclear bombs and computers.
Guest   Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:35 pm GMT
Computers are not shit. They are even more exciting than sex.
Not in Bovina   Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:48 pm GMT
I suppose there are multiple meanings of education. Presumably the type of education that is admired here at Antimoon is based on:

1) Classic literature studied in the original languages (Latin, Classical Greek, Sanskrit, Ancient Chinese, Sumerian, Ancient Hebrew, Etruscan, etc.)

2) Modern (and not-so-modern) world literature studied in a wide selction of living languages (Spanish, French, Italian, German, English, Russian, Gaelic, Basque, etc.)

3) Ancient and modern Philosophy, again studied in the native languages (Chinese, Greek, Latin, German, French, etc.)

4) Theology studied in Arabic, Hindi, Chinese, Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, etc.

Thank goodness I don't have such an education -- I studied Math, Chemistry, Mechanics, Structures, Physics, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Mass Transfer, Materials, Aerodynamics, Circuit Theory, Mechanical Drawing, Psychology, Economics, etc. :)
Uriel   Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:41 am GMT
Who says farmers aren't educated? To make it as a farmer in a first world country, where farming is more properly known as agribusiness, takes a whole lot of knowhow. Modern farmers and ranchers in the US graduate from agricultural programs at universities with bachelor's degrees in animal husbandry, soil science, biology, business management, economics, etc. I went to an ag school -- I know! I may have gotten my degree in studio art from my university's College of Arts and Sciences, but this is what the main college way at the other end of campus offered (stolen from the NMSU website):

New Mexico State University
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences

Academics

Our students come from diverse backgrounds, with 40 percent ethnic minorities and 20 percent from farms and ranches. They study agricultural sciences, wildlife, environment, human nutrition, family, tourism management and more. Of our 18 bachelor's degree programs, 14 are offered nowhere else in New Mexico. We also offer three doctoral and nine master's degrees.

Academic Departments

* Agricultural and Extension Education

* Agricultural Economics and Agricultural Business

* Plant and Environmental Sciences

* Animal and Range Sciences

* Entomology, Plant Pathology and Weed Science

* Family and Consumer Sciences

* Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Ecology

* School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management
Edward Teach   Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:27 am GMT
This is a compicated topic with no easy answer.
Here in Thailand we are suffering an education crisis.
I have personally met people with Masters degrees in English who cant speak English.
I have met Engineers who cant use a screwdriver.
Generally education here is bought, It has no real effect on intelligence.
People who are born stupid tend to die stupid
,   Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:33 pm GMT
Educated Idiot

Commedia dell'Arte (Italian: "comedy of the artists (or of the guilds)") is a form of improvisational theatre that began in Italy in the 16th century, maintained its popularity through the 17th century, and is still performed today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commedia_dell%27arte

Characters

Il Dottore or the Doctor (usually called Dottore Balanzone, Dottore Baloardo, or Dottore Graziano) is a commedia dell'arte stock character, one of the vecchio or old men whose function in a scenario is to be an obstacle to the young lovers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_Dottore

He is typically depicted as an elderly man who only knows nonsense.

Seizing upon some trivial and well-known fact, The Doctor pretends that he has made the discovery, which is of the utmost importance.