"District 9"

EU   Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:10 am GMT
Hello everybody,

Yesterday I watched "Distirct 9" and I had some problems to understand their English. For example, They did not pronunce the "H".

So What do you think about the Eglish in South Africa?

Thank you.
Leasnam   Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:42 pm GMT
I have known many people from SA, some being Afrikaners, and their brand of English is very unique. It sounds closest perhaps to Australian English but what I withget the most about it was the pronunciation of the /i/ sound in words like 'friendly'/'happily'/etc. It tended to be very forward and pronounced, like they were saying "friendleeeeeey"/"happileeeeeey".

Another thing was the /ai/ diphthong, as in 'fire'--they would pronounce it /a: r/ before a liquid ("/fa: r/ = fire") and like /{/ in other positions, so that 'life' sounded like a drawn out nasalised "laugh" ("/l{:f/ = life")

Very different from say British varieties of English. I can almost always spot the South African immediately from other English speakers.
bo   Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:17 pm GMT
I also find it pretty close to Australian English. I'd need to hear the two accents one after the other in order to tell them apart. District 9 was easy to understand for me, but I'm a native speaker. You just have to expose yourself to different accents to understand them, it doesn't take that long. Although, South African English isn't a variety that you hear very often.
Guest   Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:39 pm GMT
Well, I thought it sounded different than Australian English... For instance, I don't think Australians pronounce the F-word as "fook", although I might be mistaken.