how do we say "the" and "this" correctly

Liza   Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:38 pm GMT
I have been lerning english for 3 years, but it does not help!
I cannot say words like the and this
Larissa   Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:20 pm GMT
yeah these sounds are very hard to pronounce for Non-English speakers, i can't pronounce them either
Adam   Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:22 pm GMT
What about "these" and "them" and "those"?
Larissa   Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:26 pm GMT
Adam you're British?
betty   Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:19 pm GMT
Put the tip of your tongue between your teeth and pronounce "d" sound. These should make the sound you hear at the beginning of the given words.
Kirk   Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:08 am GMT
Yes, and remember what's spelled as <th> in English can either be a voiced sound or unvoiced one. Most commonly the voiced sounds are high-frequency "function words" (like <the> <this> <than> <either>, etc.), while most other normal words have the unvoiced sound (<author> <thin> <thing> <thief>, <bath>, etc.).

In IPA the voiced sound is marked /ð/ while the unvoiced one is marked as /θ/. In X-SAMPA those are /D/ and /T/, respectively.
Mxsmanic   Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:01 pm GMT
The English phoneme /ð/ is pronounced identically to /z/, except that you put the tip of your tongue very lightly just behind and between your teeth. The voiceless version /θ/ is identical to /s/, except for the same positioning of the tongue between and just behind the teeth.

Both of these sounds are very simple to pronounce; they are no more difficult than /s/ and /z/. However, there aren't many languages that use them, and so for most ESL students they are something quite new, and thus take longer to master. Still, just about all the ESL students I've encountered can pronounce these sounds perfectly in a few seconds once they are given correct and careful instructions on exactly how to produce them.

The voiced consonant /ð/ is far more common than the unvoiced consonant /θ/ in English, and there are very few minimal pairs that pit the two against each other. The only one I can think of offhand is ether and either (/iθɚ/ and /iðɚ/, respectively), and even that depends on how one pronounces either. I tell my students that, if they are in doubt, they should pronounce the voiced consonant.

Castilian Spanish uses /θ/ in words like _cinco_ /θinko/.
Guest   Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:55 am GMT
The <th> words with voiced /ð/ tend to be high-frequency function words, while most other words with <th>, especially nouns, tend to have /θ/ . However, there is some overlap--there may be some function words with /θ/ and some non-function words with /ð/.

/iðəɹ/ --> [ˈiːðɚ] <either>
/iθəɹ/ --> [ˈiθɚ] <ether>

/ɹiθ/ --> [ɹiθ] <wreath>
/ɹið/ --> [ɹiːð] <wreathe>

/loθ/ --> [loθ] <loath>
/loð/ --> [loːð[ <loathe>

/mæʊθ/ --> [mæʊθ] <mouth> noun
/mæʊð/ --> [mæʊːð] <mouth> verb

/ɹeθ/ --> [ɹeθ] <wraith>
/ɹeð/ --> [ɹeːð] <rathe>
Kirk   Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:58 am GMT
Oops, I accidentally hit "send" before I intended too (why doesn't Antimoon require you to post a name as it used to?). As I showed above (but hadn't had time to type yet), there are at least several different minimal pairs between /ð/ and /θ/, and many more near-minimal pairs. Here are the examples again:

--The following are minimal pairs in my speech--

/iðəɹ/ --> [ˈiːðɚ] <either>

/ɹiθ/ --> [ɹiθ] <wreath>

/loθ/ --> [loθ] <loath>

/ɹeθ/ --> [ɹeθ] <wraith>
/ɹeð/ --> [ɹeːð] <rathe>

--Here are some near-minimal pairs in my speech--

/hiðən/ --> [ˈhiːðn̩] <heathen>
/iθən/ --> [ˈiθn̩] <Ethan>

/ðɪs/ --> [ðɪs] <this>
/θɪsəl/ --> [ˈθɪsɫ̩] <thistle>
Guest   Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:13 pm GMT
>>Castilian Spanish uses /θ/ in words like _cinco_ /θinko/.<<

Keep in mind, though, that the sound of "c" in cinco is not equal to the sound of /θ/ in Latin America. Spaniards' pronunciation can be considered to be equal.

Regards
César   Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:14 pm GMT
Previous post was mine; sorry.

And let me rephrase to avoid confusions.

Keep in mind, though, that in Latin America the sound of "c" in cinco is not equal to the sound of /θ/. Spaniards' pronunciation can be considered to be equal.
SpaceFlight   Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:42 pm GMT
<<Yes, and remember what's spelled as <th> in English can either be a voiced sound or unvoiced one. Most commonly the voiced sounds are high-frequency "function words" (like <the> <this> <than> <either>, etc.), while most other normal words have the unvoiced sound (<author> <thin> <thing> <thief>, <bath>, etc.).

In IPA the voiced sound is marked /ð/ while the unvoiced one is marked as /θ/. In X-SAMPA those are /D/ and /T/, respectively.>>

Some things to note though, are that <th> intervocalically is most often voiced as in ''feather'', ''weather'', ''bother'' etc.

Also, nouns and verbs are often distinguish by the nouns having /T/ and the verbs having /D/:

breath - /brET/
breathe - /briD/

loath - /loUT/
loathe - /loUD/

bath - /b{T/
bathe - /beID/

Also, with plurals like ''baths'', ''paths'', ''myths'', ''moths'' etc. some people use /Ts/ and some people use /Dz/.

Also, /D/ at the end of words is often marked with <the> in the spelling as in ''seethe'' and ''teethe''. Though not always, ''smooth'' /smuD/.
SpaceFlight   Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:52 pm GMT
<</iðəɹ/ --> [ˈiːðɚ] <either>

/ɹiθ/ --> [ɹiθ] <wreath>

/loθ/ --> [loθ] <loath>

/ɹeθ/ --> [ɹeθ] <wraith>
/ɹeð/ --> [ɹeːð] <rathe>>>

Why are you all attempting to use the IPA in here when it doesn't work and all you're going to get is a bunch of squares?
Kirk   Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:52 pm GMT
<<Some things to note though, are that <th> intervocalically is most often voiced as in ''feather'', ''weather'', ''bother'' etc.>>

Yes, that's true. This is a legacy of how the system worked in Old English, when there was only one phoneme, /T/, and it was voiced intervocalically and after voiced sounds but not word-finally or initially (the word-initial ones sometimes got voiced in high-frequency function words due to a sandhi process).

<<Also, nouns and verbs are often distinguish by the nouns having /T/ and the verbs having /D/:

breath - /brET/
breathe - /briD/

loath - /loUT/
loathe - /loUD/

bath - /b{T/
bathe - /beID/>>

Yes, those are good examples of minimal pairs/near-minimal pairs.

<<Also, with plurals like ''baths'', ''paths'', ''myths'', ''moths'' etc. some people use /Ts/ and some people use /Dz/.>>

I typically have [Ts] for those but I've heard some use [Dz] for a couple of those.

<<Why are you all attempting to use the IPA in here when it doesn't work and all you're going to get is a bunch of squares?>>

It shows up as IPA for me. Do you have an IPA font installed?
SpaceFlight   Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:08 pm GMT
<<It shows up as IPA for me. Do you have an IPA font installed?>>

I guess I don't. It didn't know that you could even get it to work in here.